I am really behind on this thread. Just  quickly.

Thanks for the comments Johannes, and I am sorry that I never got back to the
discussion of naming, but the discussion of disappearance / obsolesce moved in
another direction (in the direction of technologies other than the plastic
arts).
You ask:

> How does X-ray offer a figure?  or following your argument on social
> relations: "But we still have to recognize a figure (or political position,
> concept of a social, or a self)"?
> how does X-ray mediate something we define as social?

First, the notion of the figure, is not mine, Winter engages in a critique of
aesthetic realism of being unable to provide anything meaningful since
photographic realism captures everything.  S/he argues that this mechanical
aesthetic is inhuman because humans need to focus on figures. But s/he uses the
X-ray as a counter example of a realist aesthetic since with the x-ray we see
the skeleton not the entire workings of the body and its relation to the
background.  This argument is one that does not engage the screen as such, only
the our conscious perception of what is screen.  Something that Martin is
pointing out that is no longer the main focus of Kinect or cloud computing.

> My anecdote is brief.  I am not as technically savvy on Kinect, but – as
> Simon says, he wanted to "develop some new interactive systems. It is a
> curious device, especially as to how it visualises the world."... --
>

> what visual affects are you talking about if I may ask?

At UC Davis, the Kinect lab is connected to a Cave project that visualizes big
data: earthquakes, landslides, mathematical equations but also dance.  Each
project seems to propose its own mode navigation that you seemingly move
through, around or engage.  But the effect for the user is often vertigo. There
is both precision (a realistic impression that you are moving into landslide
areas for instance, and blur, or the recognition of figures, structures and the
non-figurative visualization of movement through virtual space).

> Johannes Birringer
> dap-lab
> http://www.subtle.net/empyre

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.