Hi Ana,

I read both below and have a practical question - is the original post, from which the excerpt is taken, available in archives anywhere?

The second piece is beautiful and dark and poetic, and oddly undercut, visually, by one of the symptoms of power and how it's deployed online - I mean the words which are doubly underlined and clickable, something you didn't do, but something that was done to the text, bringing up advertisements that had no relation to what you were writing. It's as if the writing itself became a marker of exile from a kind of integrity, undercut by capital - that isn't the case, of course, but I found it disturbing.

I think both point not only to the contexting of pain, but to its politics - it's been written about, widely here, that torture doesn't work, that this is why it should be discontinued. But I know, myself, that I'm a coward in this regard, and I can't see why it would work, which makes it all the more horrifying. When we - my friends and I - found out that Bush etc. was applying torture routinely (we had always suspected it, in a clandestine way), it spelled the end of a kind of innocence about "good" Americans, that I, at least, had been brought up with. I imagine now something very different, a world of torture, and wonder how we, how anyone or anything, can live with that.

Thank you -

Alan