Thanks so much, Bishnu, for posting these provocative thoughts on cellular risk
culture.  It will be interesting to pursue this line of thinking next week when
Bill Leiss is our featured guest, who, as you know, has led Canada's discourse
around these issues of balancing risk culture between biomedical/ biocapitalist
advancement  and social responsibility for what some might prefer to think of
as the biodata offsetting new nefarious applications of biopower.

Our community might be interested in revisiting, along these lines, the net.art
exhibition of CTHEORY Multimedia that Arthur and Marilouise Kroker and I
curated a decade ago on "Tech Flesh: The Promise and Perils of the Human Genome
Project": http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu/issue2/issue_main.htm  In this
issue, works by 14 international artists probed the network, economics,
metaphors, and promises of the newly lauded Human Genome Project.  CTHEORY.net
accompanied this issue with a journal issue of essays on the topic.  As I
cruise the Tech Flesh issue, I'm now struck by how timely our four curatorial
essays remain to be.

What's interesting in view of your post, Bishnu, are the questions we raise
about the enigmatic openness "of the aesthetic register" of the gene.  I'm
wondering, now ten years later, how you might respond to our then optimistic
embrace of mediatic responses to cellular risk as a counterpractice of what was
quickly developing as the corporatist profiting of scientific research.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Best,

Tim

Director, Society for the Humanities
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
A. D. White House
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York. 14853