Tim,

You are pointing to the continued necessity of critique, and I am in emphatic
agreement. At the same time, I want to move beyond mere critique to attend to
cultural forms of enchantment: my interest in the popular impels me to do so.
Popular cultural forms are generative in myriad ways: some are exhilarating,
others downright disquieting. I will give two quick examples that bring into
dialogue critique and appreciation of popular enchantments.

1) In talking about Baz Luhrmann's  MOULIN ROUGE, Rosalind Galt channels Said
to point to the undeniably orientalist aspects of the film. But she does not
stop there. She also explores set design and costumes--and the considerable
pleasures they afford--to restitute the "decorative" (with all its gendered
connotations of the ornamental and the superfluous) as an immensely productive
element of cinematic signification.
2) In my own research, I look at the hilarious spoofs of well-known Bolly- and
Hollywood films coming out of the western Indian town of Malegaon. Known for
their DIY aesthetic and camp panache, these video-films draw on the glitter of
big budget "global" films (the Superman franchises, Tarzan, and a host of
Bollywood blockbusters) even as they viciously lampoon their vacuous promises.
In a sense, these parodies buy into the allure of "the good life" that
contemporary cultures of globalization sell; and yet, they question the global
from the singular perspectives of their precarious lives. These remediations
include hilarious riffs addressing the challenges they face in their quotidian
lives, from mosquito-borne diseases to the lack of potable water. I draw
inspiration from this pop-cultural practice that deftly moves beyond the
polarization of complicity and resistance, trafficking in both at once.

As for my own approach, my writing practice: might I say that I tend towards a
form of critical enchantment?

Bhaskar