http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/inside-team-romneys- whale-of-an-it-meltdown/

and as background: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/opinion/after-knight-capital-new-code-for-trades.html

Dear All,

I see that Leiss has already replied. Nevertheless, readers might find the links above useful. Being data driven is useful but only with critical thinking before/behind/ion front/ to the side of it. After all, it matters what questions are asked, what data is kept, how it is structured for retrieval and what human sense we make out of it. Even then, one of the best investments in moving people to actually vote is in personal human contact. Clearly the Obama team was good at it and the Romney team unbelievably poor (see above) but isn't it possible to see that the difference in data games arises in part from the political positions of the competitors. If the Republicans think 47% of the people are unworthy and don't matter, those ideas will skew the data gathering. If, like Obama, they had believed that they needed to energize a large section of the electorate they would have done differently. All of this leads me to believe that we are very far from turning elections over to technologists and we shouldn't think that that is a good idea.

CS