I have really appreciated the discussion about public higher education here,
particularly the contributions of David and Brian.  I am in complete sympathy
with the need to defend and protect and indeed strengthen "the embodied
engagement of citizens" through our educational institutions, particularly in
the face of the blind willingness of many of our colleagues to aid and abet the
assault on public higher education through their eager and enthusiastic
participation in the ongoing MOOCification and precaritization of higher ed.

I have a couple of (seemingly unrelated) questions.

1. Both David and Brian seem to insist that the neoliberal elites are targeting
the capacity of left critique in their remaking (or disassembling) of
publicly-supported higher education.  This presumes that they see our critique
as particularly threatening.  I'm prepared to believe this but would be
interested in seeing some explicit evidence for this claim.  The dismantling of
higher education as we know it seems mainly motivated by the ideology and
practice of neoliberal economics not by the ideology of what used to be called
the culture wars.  What makes the current situation so much more dangerous than
the attacks on the academic left in the 1980s is its focus on economic and
structural change more than on the ideology or content of what is being taught
in the classroom.  Of course these are closely related, but this 21st century
moment feels very different to me than the last decades of the 20th century.

2. What is the role of the nonhuman sciences in this attack on public higher
ed?  Leaving aside for the moment the more recent development of professional
schools, we still need to account for the role of the natural and physical
sciences in higher education.  They have always been a part of the American
university and are also suffering (in similar but not identical ways) from the
same assault on the tenured professoriate, embodied pedagogy, and so forth.  I
would add to David's fine list of authors who should be read in a democracy
figures like Darwin, Einstein, Margulis, Lyell, Newton, Carson, Galileo, and
others.  When we think about what is being threatened by the neoliberal
demolition of public higher education we need to include the kinds of
scientific and technical knowledge that is also essential to a democracy,
particularly to how we "care" for the planet and the nonhuman plants and
animals with which we share it.

With care,

Richard

Richard Grusin