Hi everyone,

It is, indeed, a pleasure to have been invited to discuss this topic!

Since I received the email from Simon I have been wondering about the
reasons why an artist would undertake a research degree. Given that I am
not an artist myself I actually asked a few about their motivation to
embark on Masters and PhD studies while I was in Prague at the
MutaMorphosis conference (http://mutamorphosis.org/2012/) last month. Some
of the responses I received were quite pragmatic, namely that the
availability of funding, in the form of scholarships, had been a strong
incentive to determine their choice, or that academia simply provided a
familiar forum to continue their practice, following from their
undergraduate studies. While it is not a very exciting reason, I was not
surprised to hear that the scarcity of funding for the arts had been the
drive for some. Interestingly though, was the fact that these responses
were not much different from the ones provided by many biological science
students as to why they were doing a PhD (a cohort that I am more familiar
with, given my academic background as a biologist and neuroscientist – and
similarly in science the abundance of scholarships provides a source of
income when other research positions are unavailable).

Affirming the similarities between scientific and artistic practices within
the context of a research degree is actually the main point I wish to
sustain. As a scientist, for me it was not enough to pipette liquids or to
grow cells in Petri dishes in the laboratory – I wanted to do science to
build an understanding about the processes occurring within living beings
and to contribute to the body of knowledge about the biological world
around me. My motivation to do a PhD was the willingness to engage in an
intellectual challenge that would form the base and provide a context for
my scientific practice. And this intellectual drive was very much what
Donna indicated as her main reason to undertake her PhD, just as Sue
mentioned that the concern for a research informed by tacit knowledge was a
core concern during her doctorate.

Moreover, while I agree with the problematization outlined by Simon (that
possibly the divergent epistemologies underpinning the various academic
fields fuels the debate about the (dis)advantages of research degrees), I
am not aware of such questions being considered within the biological and
physical sciences. Scientific contexts are among themselves quite
different, for the work of an astronomer or mathematician is vastly
different from that of an ecologist or microbiologist, but it is never put
into question that a scientist may wish to undertake doctoral studies and
to produce a thesis situating their own research within the wider framework
of their area of engagement. Why should such practice be questioned when
undertaken by an artist? Particularly when the creative practitioner is
exploring hybrid territory, I would argue that the thesis (usually a
requirement for obtaining a research degree) is actually helpful and
necessary as the form of expression in which to conciliate different
disciplines being explored.

 What I find exciting in this wave of research-led practice/practice-led
research is the potential to find common ground between the various
disciplines. A neuroscientist and a dance artist might seldom communicate,
but dance can provide a real situational context and research material for
the former, and exploring notions of embodiment can lead the latter to
learn about the somatosensory nervous system – and therefore these research
processes provide the conditions for otherwise infrequent dialogues to
occur. This was already mention by Simon when identifying hybrid practices
as a frequent ground for the emergence of these research students, and
beautifully alluded to by Donna in her metaphor of *holding axes sharpened
by encounters with others*. Instead of merely being a scientist I rather
become a Dr_Iam_a_scientistresearchacademic so that I can engage in a
conversation with my colleague Sue, also known as
Dr_Iam_an_artistresearcheracademic.

Kind regards,

Maria