Thanks so much to Paul, Heidi and Claire for posting this week on
-empyre.  We continue to talk about Beatriz' life and work this last
week of February.  In New York on this Sunday the 24th many of
Beatriz' family and friends will gather at Postmasters Gallery.  For
those of us too far away to travel to New York City we send our
sincerest sympathies to all of you.  Tim and I are hoping that many of
you who have not added to this discussion in honor of Beatriz will do
so before we close the discussion on Thursday the 28th.

This week on empyre we invite special guests Natalie Jeremijenko and
Kathy High.  Their biographies are below.  Welcome to both of you!

Kathy High is Associate Professor Of Video and New Media in the
Department of Arts, at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), Troy,
NY. She is an interdisciplinary artist, educator working with biology
and time based arts. In the last ten years she has become interested
in working with living systems, animals and art, considering
thesocial, political and ethical dilemmas of biotechnology and
surrounding industries. She has received awards from the Guggenheim
Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, and National Endowment for the
Arts. Her art works, have been shown in film festivals, galleries and
museums, including Documenta 13, Guggenheim Museum, Museum of Modern
Art, among others.
Her co-edited book The Emergence of Video Processing Tools: Television
Becoming Unglued, with Sherry Miller Hocking of the Experimental
Television Center and Mona Jimenez of the Moving Image Preservation
Program at NYU, will be published by Intellect Books (UK), 2013.  The
book presents stories of the development of early video tools and
systems designed and built by artists and technologists during the
late 1960s and 70s, and how that history of collaborations among
inventors, designers and artists has affected contemporary
tool-makers.

Natalie Jeremijenko
Beatriz and I both worked on technological opportunities for social
and ecological change including : air quality projects using sensors
attached to pigeons and robotic dogs respectively  towards redesigning
human/animal relationship; both worked on developing alternative
biomedical institutions that recognized participatory research and
food and nutrition-based work.... and the convivial contexts for
rethinking these.
Animal behavior, gmo food, representations of cancer .... it seemed we
were automatically attracted to similar issues, and of course I could
not have been luckier in this respect. Aside from the professional
overlap I loved her as a friend .... she was incredibly dear to me.

Named one of the most influential women in technology 201, one of the
inaugural top young innovators by MIT Technology Review, and a current
Creative Capital awardee,  Natalie Jeremijenko directs the
Environmental Health Clinic, and is an Associate Professor in the
Visual Art Department, NYU, affiliated with the Computer Science
Department and Environmental Studies program.  Previously she was on
the Visual Arts faculty at UCSD, Faculty of Engineering at Yale
University, a visiting professor at Royal College of Art in London,
and a Distinguished Visiting Professor in the Public Understanding of
Science at Michigan State University. Her degrees are in biochemistry,
engineering, neuroscience and History and Philosophy of Science.
Jeremijenko was included in the 2011 Venice Bieniale, the 2006 Whitney
Biennial of American Art, also in 1997,  and the Cooper Hewitt
Smithsonian Design Triennial 2006-7. In 2010 Neuberger Museum produced
a retrospective exhibition surveying recent work, entitled Connected
Environments; in addition to a solo exhibition entitled X in November,
2010 at the University of Technology Sydney. Currently on view:  Civic
Action, an exhibition of urban plans, at Socrates Sculpture Park,
Other recent exhibitions include Civic Action @  Noguchi Museum;
talk2me exhibition at MOMA, and the ongoing Cross(x)Species Adventure
Club.

--

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre