Thank you Isabelle for you insights and the links. I agree with you on the
emergence of indiegames as serving to make the lines between gamers and
artists increasingly redundant (while in lots of cases these lines were
already of no relevance). On the other hand, indie is now a label that is
increasingly vague (yet appealing). So for instance, many indiegames are
distributed through steam, a sharing platform owned by valve, the makers of
Half-life, whose engine is shared by america's army. And yes, many of these
games are truly creative.

I don't know of a really in depth study of the ins and outs of the
videogame industry at present, but there is certainly much work to be done
on this topic.