Empyreans,

Long time lurker here, I want to first apologize for the informal sloppy nature of this email, if I don't put it together and send it quickly, I won't get it out at all.

I too was impressed by Joe's narrative of his works, much of which I have followed for a number of years. I also had the distinct pleasure of curating Joe and Paolo into my first museum show on games as art a number of years ago for Zero1. I have to say that I think the struggle to get work recognized as art has been playing itself out for a long time across new media and more recently among those of us who see games as a particular flavor of interactive media. And though the victories are trickling in it was that my last show that convinced me that the question of art in games and games in art just wasn't that interesting to me, but it was more important what one could do with the medium.

The resistance to putting games into the gallery and museum tends to melt away as the institutions recognize the tremendous diversity of expression and audience that are represented in the works and attracted to the shows.

That being expressed I have to say that the idea of Games of the Oppressed and even Videogames of the Oppressed really flips a switch in my head. I think Anna Anthropy reflects very well on who and what is oppressed by the modern games industry and even to a lesser extent indie games. There just aren't enough voice, and isn't enough diversity in the voices of the games being played.

The rules and coded culture of the game create a powerful level of control over the player, and perhaps it is the manipulation of that through some manner of live coding or game modding that creates a useful dialog within games of the oppressed, I do not know. I have not encountered this before but am anxious to learn more. On the other hand a sense of game playing is at the heart of Theater of the Oppressed too, isn't it?

Games cultivate motivation and teach, but they teach best how to play the game.