I followed World Without Oil closely when it came out. It's a really fascinating experiment in roleplaying and Alternate Reality Games. I always wondered why, despite the significant media attention, there are so few examples of this kind. Since Ken is with us, I'll take the liberty to go into more specific designy issues.

We are obviously talking about a different level of engagement and a different kind of model player here. These games typically ask a lot from the participants and require a certain predisposition and sustained commitment. From the designer/developer side, it seems to me that a project like WWO needs a serious promotional effort to gather a critical mass of participants (relying on established network and organizations), and there is a degree of user self-selection in the process. Since the "content" is either collectively created or revealed gradually, I assume most people joining an ARG have a vague idea of what an ARG is beforehand. Similar projects like Jane McGonigal's Evoke have built-in viral campaigns. They essentially reward players for bringing in other players, but that's a bit of a turn off for me. I'd rather experience something first and then, if it's compelling, tell the world about it. I wonder what are your thoughts about it.

Another aspect that I always tried to wrap my mind around is: how do you manage agency in a distributed and collaborative storytelling/brainstorming effort? Formalized games, digital or not, provide a tight feedback loop that make the player feel like their action actually matter within the game system. Even in roleplaying games or free-form storygames players are constantly negotiating, affecting and limiting each other. My understanding of WWO or Evoke is that puppetmasters/organizers come up with a series of challenges along the line of "let's all think about how to save Africa" or "let's imagine how your daily life would be during an oil crisis" and then ask the players to produce social media content (blog posts etc) in response. I know sometimes there are external rewards for participating (like scores or prizes) but I didn't find examples of players engaging with each other and coming up with something unexpected, something that is more that a short essay. I'm sure you analyzed behaviors and user-generated content and maybe you can give us some insights.