Carol-Ann,
thanks for another very interesting take on your process. We also, at the
SenseLab, had a situation where a member suffered a psychotic break and ended
up in the hospital at the end of one of our events ("Housing the Body; Dressing
the Environment"). It was a very difficult moment and put a lot of things into
perspective for us, especially as we realized how unequiped we were to deal
with the therapeutic (here in the Guattarian sense) as the violence the break
had generated became more and more personalized. I've come to think, as you do
here, that the force of the event includes the event-based hospitality it
proposes. How can an event generate the kind of care that would allow such a
potential event not to degenerate into a personal crisis? How do you generate
and sustain what Guattari calls a "group subject," a subject (in the event)
that is capable of composing with the act (is this activism?). In our case,
when this happened, the only thing I could ultimately think of doing (after 2
months of experimenting with all the techniques we could summon) was to end the
SenseLab, which I did, offering up the suggesting that anyone else could begin
it again with new techniques. Within 24 hours Bianca Scliar relaunched the
SenseLab and it has been going ever since. One thing I realized during this
period was that I couldn't underestimate the vulnerability this kind of work
creates. This happened in 2007 and has strengthened our resolve not to be
afraid of meeting our own end - we prefer the end of the SenseLab to its
institutionalization of staid practices. How do we remain necessary (to
ourselves, to others) is one of our most current questions. I mean this in the
Nietzschean sense, where necessity fashions the way, the path, and not in the
capitalist sense.

The technical questions of collaboration are mobile within the SenseLab. We
have tendencies, and skills, of course, and these affect the decisions and
directions we take. But we try to keep the experiment as open as possible each
time in order to generate new techniques. For our 2013 Enter Bioscleave event,
for instance, Brian and I spent a day last week with Madeline Gins to discuss
how to connect our idea of enabling constraints to her procedures. This was
very generative (we ended up creating 3 new hybrid procedures which Madeline
will include in her next book!). When we descend on Bioscleave in October (in
the form of an infestation both into Bioscleave and out into the Hamptons) the
idea will be to have generated a set of techniques to co-compose across the
necessities of Arakawa and Gins' procedural approach and to have expanded on
our process. We will also be working with a local farm, which will necessitate
other kinds of collaborative tools (we hope to work with them to make the food
for the event), with local nurseries (there is a planting/seeding component to
the event), with local performers (there is a mobile bike proposition that
includes a performative aspect) etc. Each of these collaborations will generate
new techniques and new constraints. Our hope is to become flexible enough, and
precise enough, to be able to co-compose across very different cultures in
order to best generate local emergent collectivities (this could be a real
challenge in Long Island!!). But again, our main goal is humble - to generate
sustainable hubs of action in various sites that continue to collaborate beyond
the time of the event. And of course, there will always be a digital component,
as I mentioned before. In this case, the techniques still have to be invented
as internet streaming is out of the question (no internet connection). So we
are thinking of operating in unreal-time. I have no doubt Patrick Lichty will
be an innovator in this regard!

Erin

>>> http://www.senselab.ca
>>> http://www.infl
>>>
>>> On 2013-05-04, at 3:55 AM, Carol-Ann *Braun

>>> empyre@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au
>>> http://www.subtle.net/empyre

>>> empyre forum
>>> empyre@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au