Dear Empyre list,

I've been following the comings and goings here since the beginning of 2008
(but I've never posted). I tuned into empyre because at that time I was trying
to understand different models for developing communities in the online space,
and I found the premise of this permeable space very interesting.  I have to
say I have been greatly inspired by this dialogue, and I think perhaps the
reason I've not contributed before is (I don't know why I've not contributed
before.)

I'm an artist based in the north of England (Manchester currently).  I tend to
work with quite unconventional materials (even by empyre standards) - in recent
years this has included "law", "food systems", and "football".

My interest is in interrogating and re-configuring existing social structures
to create new and experimental approaches to art-making.

Five years ago I founded The Meat Licence Proposal  – an organisation working
towards the collaborative development of a new kind of law requiring consumers
to have direct engagement with the slaughter of animals before they can
purchase meat.  The ongoing activism required to develop construct this
framework has brought me into contact with several list contributors and also
directed my research interests in the last several years.  In 2010 I completed
an AHRC Research Project at Newcastle University’s Culture Lab where I proposed
and prototyped new kinds of technological ‘interface’ between citizens and the
law.

During 2011/12 I was resident at the Clinical Engineering Research Unit at the
University of Liverpool – using 3D printing and techniques of tissue culture to
grow the world's first bio-engineered football from living cells obtained from
abattoir waste: Pigs Bladder Football.

Also during 2012 (at Stroom Den Haag in the Netherlands) I launched a new
culinary invention – Black Market Pudding – a traditional blood-sausage made
with blood from a live pig.  The Black Market Pudding has since been made in
Poland too and it is my intention to bring this to market in the European Union
during 2013.

July 1st marks a couple of important milestones in my work:

From tomorrow, it will be possible for any individual who has legally
demonstrated their own specific and personal engagement with acts of killing
animals to apply for and obtain the first legally valid Meat Licence documents.

And also tomorrow, I begin in a new full-time role, developing a Visual and
Interactive Art programme for the National Football Museum here in the UK -
something which I'm incredibly excited about!

I hope, during the next 5 years to post my thoughts here and be a more active
and interactive community member.

Thank you to all who make this happen.

best
John O'Shea