Hello - the biennale in Venice has its own draw but as I'm going there and as
the biennale is on, it seems a reasonable place to detect signs of the new.
Glastonbury suddenly struck me as a gathering with a primary function of
corroborating a set of ideas for a generation (like many other youth festivals
that are about sharing ideas) but Glastonbury of course was one of the first
and I've had the privilege of watching it transmute year upon year - I live
nearby - as it takes on the changes put forward by the performing community. It
began spontaneously and arose out of the alternative networks of the 60's,
where Buckminster Fuller, Stafford Beer, Edmund Carpenter, McLuhan etc were
leading thought and early user generated ecological and cybernetics oriented
ideas were networked at early festivals such as this. Today, the children of
the people who attended the first festivals come - but so do the curious from
outside the initial networking system. Also television has picked up
Glastonbury as a 'National Treasure' and embraced many of the values put
forward. Equally, the recent Olympics opening ceremony featured the iconic
Glastobury Tor out of which the working class of the industrial revolution were
seen to come out of - as if Glastonbury were the Heart of 'ideal version of
England where the paradigmatic virtues are nurtured and grown.

Here there was an attempt to take back the values of 'Albion' or 'Avalon' from
the clutches of the right wing (we took on courtly and Arthurian values quite
heavily here) - and so though the UK is gripped by survivalist concerns
(against the developments in the marketplace from developing economies) and
many of the youth exhibit the narrow focus of one of the last great dinosaurs
Thatcher, actually, it is within this festival that is exported throughout the
world as a paradigmaticly important cognitive distributive network that has
linked in to global information distribution.

Re Resistance is Futile - I think that each year a theme is proposed that
allows ideas to coagulate around it and if the theme functions correctly then
it epitomises the natures of the changes that have occurred in the preceding
period. I'm not sure that this particular theme was completely relevant to the
world as it stands at the moment. If you've bought a more right wing ideology
then you'd buy the idea that the market is the best mechanism for working
through materialist concerns. 'Nature red in tooth and claw' seems to be an
important concept if you buy materialism, because people understand that if
they were cast out into the wild naked, most would not survive, But it seems to
me to be an entirely misplaced argument that if something eats something else,
then we too must do the same and be the same.

In terms of activities being 'sustainable as the processes of technologisation
and globalisation'. I don't think we need be anxious. If you seek an audience
and approval for what you do then only pain can follow. Art must be made for
it's own sake by the artist. It is good to display, but for different reasons
than some artists do this for. Critique is the principle issue, but actually,
the artist must be their own principle critic. I have made Art for 40 years,
and my work has been shown around the world remotely for which I am glad.
Sometimes though, a local event has more potency for me because I get to relate
to the person viewing the work and we have an equal exchange where I am not
elevated above them simply because I have made the work. The gallery and museum
scenario maintains the idea of the artist and curator as priest and if the
cognitive neuroscientists are right - we no longer need shamans, curators,
academics or any other kind of bureaucrat to maintain the distance between
artwork, viewer and artist.

Why would we be different in the future? SImply because we are not the same as
we were in the past. The timescales are so much longer in the view I am
expressing. 2 million years ago we began behaving differently (apparently) and
after a certain period other developments occurred (only ten thousand years for
theoreticising and bureaucratising language). A lot of what you, Johannes,
mention as valuable is within the last 10,000. I mentioned that this was a
scaffolded viewpoint which takes the best of and builds upon developments from
the past - but does not preclude contemporary and future developments. It's all
part of the continuum. I sense a degree of nostalgia for these behaviours,
which is fine. But measured against a 1 billion year development from the
earliest multi-celled creatures, apes jumping around mimetically, poetically,
artistically, sensuously….. this is just a small element within the timescale.
And that's only if you take account of evolution in this little and secluded
part of the galaxy.

...And I have to admit here to not being Speciesist and so I have no particular
allegiance to human behaviour. I will stick with it whilst being one, grunt
when required and publicly resist what I consider to be abhorrent, but I will
try to be a resistant inhabitant in the set-up. My resistance is to describe
limitations of the ape outlook.

Best, Terry

On 6 Jul 2013, at 06:12, Johannes Birringer