During this last week of our discussion, Critical Making in International
Networks, many of our guests are convening in Lima, Peru for Hastac 2004, we
welcome four featured guests on empyre: Fiona Barnett, Zac Zimmer, Viola
Lasmana, and Vivian Fritz Roa.
We look forward to their posts and  we encourage all of our guests from last
week and those previous to post freely.
Renate and Tim

Fiona Barnett is director of HASTAC Scholars and a Ph.D. candidate in the
Literature Program and Women's Studies at Duke University. For the past five
years, she has been the Director of HASTAC Scholars, an award-winning annual
program for over 200 interdisciplinary graduate students around the world. She
has overseen the community of emerging scholars and has developed dozens of
highly-viewed topical forums on topics such as new media art, race and queer
theory in the digital age, and the future of pedagogy. She is a founding member
of the #transformDH collective and continues to develop scholarly projects at
the intersection of queer theory, race studies and the digital humanities. Her
dissertation project, Turning the Body Inside Out, is a critical genealogy of
the desire to see the inside of the body through the practices of autopsy,
imaging technologies, biometrics and forensics. In 2013 she was named as a
Future Leader of Higher Education by the Association of American Colleges &
Universities.

Zac Zimmer–assistant professor of Spanish at Virginia Tech and faculty
affiliate with the Alliance for Social, Political, Ethical, and Cultural
Thought (ASPECT) and Science and Technology in Society (STS)–received his PhD
from the Department of Romance Studies, Cornell University. His research
explores questions of literature, aesthetics, politics, and technology in Latin
America.
His current project, tentatively titled First Contact, is a comparative study
of Latin American science fiction and narratives of the sixteenth century
conquest of the Americas. Previous publications on contemporary Argentine
literature, utopia, post-apocalyptic fiction, and the commons have appeared in
The Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies, Latin American Research Review,
Chasqui, Modern Language Notes, Transmodernity, and Revista Otra Parte.

Viola Lasmana is a PhD student and Dornsife Doctoral Fellow in the English
department at University of Southern California, as well as a USC Transpacific
Studies Graduate Fellow. She received her master’s degree from San Francisco
State University, and her bachelor’s degree from the University of San
Francisco. Viola works in the intersections of digital humanities, American and
Indonesian literatures, postcolonial studies, and theories of the archive. She
is also particularly interested in the generative potentials of the theory and
practice of remix for both scholarship and pedagogy.

Nelly Researcher and Chilean choreographer, Vivian Fritz Roa, currently resides
in France.  (Vivian will be represented in English by fellow Seuil-Lab member,
nellytodorova.). She took up dance at the University of Chile.  she is a
professor of art and has studies in digital photography at the Pontificate
Universidad Católica de Chile.  Creator of Acontraluz, a contemporary dance and
educational experiences lab in Chile (pierre Teilhard de Chardin School,
1997-2006).  Ms. Fritz has collaborated in creativity and research projects
between Chile, Colombia, Spain and France.  She has taken courses in dance and
the use of images at the University of Strasburg (2010-2013).  Founder and
Director of project Seuil-Lab (Umbral Lab), which is an experimental laboratory
and artistic collective, with the use of new technologies.   She is a member of
the European Doctoral School.  She was awarded a scientific scholarship from
the Conicyt (Chile-France) and theCollege Doctoral Europeen (France) to work on
her thesis:  “Dance and new technologies, towards unpublished/unprecedented
forms of choreographic creation”