Dear Marcus, Alex, Patrick, Geert and others,

Marcus if I am understanding your theory of eventualities it appears to be
an additive theory, one that looks at the collective flow of potential.
Alex on the other hand has written extensively about the disruption, the
deconstruction, the "EX" or total blockage of communication/flow in order to
rethink its consequences.

Marcus your discussion toward the end of your post on the intimacy yet mediated
presence of the screen seems more in tune with Alex's
references to the post-human.

Patrick your own relationship to theory inspired me to think about my own
history. Trained as an artist during and through post-moderism
from the early 80's onward theory began for me with the writings of the
French Feminists, especially Cixous and Irigaray. As they wrote about
feminism through the act of writing I was thinking about positioning my
own ideas about being an artist and a woman through the labor of art making.

At the same time I was fortunate that Tim Murray and I spent time with the
philosopher and postmodern theorist, Jean-Francois Lyotard.  Tim had just
returned to the states where he had been studying with Lyotard, Derrida,
deCerteau and other theoretical luminaries. All of those theorists made their
way through Ithaca at various times throughout the eighties and early nineties
where we spent time listening to a wide variety of emerging ideas in lectures
and seminars. Lyotard though I came to know best, visiting
him in France.

In fact during a visit with Lyotard one summer in the early 80's,  Tim and
I spent an extended weekend with his family at their summer home. It was about
the same time he was conceiving and writing the Introductory text to the
exhibition Les Immateriaux. Les Immateriaux was a philosophical intervention
into bridging the areas of science, technology and art. See my project
http://www.renateferro.net/anamnesis.html

Lyotard conceived and wrote theories based on strong traditions that informed
new theories and used the work of artists (those that would be included in
Les Immateriaux and at other times Francis Bacon, Ruth
Frankin, Adami and Monoroy)to extend his writing. One of my favorite
interviews conducted with Lyotard was published in Flash Magazine in March 1985.
http://www.kether.com/words/lyotard/LYOTARD-withBlistene-LesImmateriaux-Fla
shArt-March1985.pdf

What early writings on technology and art do you all find especially relevant
today in your own work?

Renate

On 5/17/14 1:22 PM, "Marcus Bastos"