Nina. Your book sounds wonderful; what's the ETA? On the face, it seems
like a wise move to couch "sound" in vibration since it would be more
inclusive of not only inaudible and audible acoustics, but also the
mechanics/movement operating across bodies and spaces at first sensory and
physical remove from sound. It seems to retune and temper sound to lived
and performed situations. It also questions how close sound should be
attached to listening. Hillel Schwartz in Making Noise and other writings
has long made it clear how "sound", its kith and kin change with respect to
historical, cultural and physiological contexts. The presumption of the
"human audible range" rolls off the tongue.

I like too what you say about where a sound stops and starts. It reminds me
both of James Tenney's notion of the event structure of the klang in
Meta-Hodos as an analytical and compositional construct. On a more prosaic
level, it reminds me of the atoms/atmos issue of a cloud, how many clouds
in a cluster, overcast, overcast at night. Marcus, are there drone fugues?
A contrapuntal overcast? Where the "sound" in sound studies stops and
starts is a much more fraught question. I was in Europe recently where a
musicologist decided that musicology was the best discipline to decide what
was canonical and what was not in sound art as a whole. Not that discourses
in sound art make that much reference to sound studies in any case, but the
inheritant presumption of the musicologist (buy me a drink and I'll name
names) was precious.

I don't necessarily think that the "vibration" in my early tripartite
formulation of "vibration, inscription, transmission" is awfully applicable
to the way you're using the term. When I brought that up in 1992 in the
introduction to the collection Wireless Imagination: Sound, Radio and the
Avant-garde it was a rhetorical reading of figures of sound present in the
early-20th century and influential on modernist, late-modernist and
experimental practices subsequently. It was mostly in literature and
representational forms of synaesthesia (physiologically, synaesthesia
exists, its generalization among the arts and aesthetics is as cultural as
it gets). It was very developed and common in occult and spiritist
materials, where it played the odd role of a mystical rationalism
flourishing from the latter-half of the 19th century while the putatively
rational sciences and mathematics grew further from experience.

The heavy use of integers is a good sign, so that's where music often comes
in. Its rhetorical standing is written in the way music extended to the
structure of the cosmos in adherence to Pythagorean and neo-Pythagorean
ideals, and even in the retreat (that I mention in the book) to an
instrinsic mathematics and cosmogenesis in superstring theory that has
Brian Greene and others effusive about violins, cellos and the Aeolian
existing at an exceedingly tiny scale. No cosmic brass or percussion, it
seems, just strings. My daughter is a classical clarinetist, so this too
disturbs me. I would like her to be recognized as part of the cosmos. Her
partner is a cellist but that is beside the point.

Douglas

> [...]
> >> lenses) and going wherever the sound leads.
> >>
> >> The "expansion" of sound studies was how sound studies got going in the
> >> first place. It is also the mode of operation in much of the
> avant-garde
> >> and experimental arts that I study; they have in the past been thought
> >> be reduced acts of transgression when they can be seen more generatively
> as
> >> proposing or enacting possibility. Those two "opening ups" coupled with
> >> what Michel Serres says about collectivist reciprocation (too many
> >> scientists, he says, take knowledge from nature and give nothing back)
> is
> >> what animates my own work.
> >>
> >> In this sense, I've boiled it down to: John Cage opened music to sound;
> >> it's time to open sound to energy. Of course, it has always been open;
> only
> >> our analyses have been lacking. In theory and philosophy when "energy"
> is
> >> discussed, it is very rarely specified; it's more of a short hand and
> broad
> >> brush. I hope we can think about that in our discussion of "vibration".
> My
> >> first recourse now is wonder what differnt energies may be interacting.
>

> >> In Earth Sound Earth Signal I kept away from the body for a good reason.
> >> only dipped below Alvin Lucier's scalp for his brainwaves and traced
> the
> >> transduction down tympan alley past the cilia to the ion channels. I
> >> avoided the body and got out as quickly as I could. The body works on a
> >> very complex and different set of energies than radio and other
> locations
> >> along the electromagnetic spectrum. No one had ever tried to introduce
> the
> >> aesthetics and politics along the e-m spectrum (in 1994 Hugh Aitken had
> >> proposed a SHOT-style project to do so, but he died and no one took up
> the
> >> task), so I had enough work to do without multiplying the level of
> >> complication.
> >>
> >> But I am starting to think about it now. The "discourse" of energy is
> alive
> >> and well among artists, but what for instance does a musician or actor
> mean
> >> when they talk about the energy in the room? The other direction is to
> >> relate these energies with the ecological realities facing the planet.
> If
> >> we understand global media systems to be energetic ones (and not, say,
> >> merely cartographic/inscriptive networks), then how might that relate
> >> that other energy issue happening in the solar-terrestrial environment.
> >> Again, I think there are concrete ways to proceed.
> >>
> >> Douglas
> >>

> >> Douglas Kahn
> >> Professor of Media and Innovation
> >> Australia Research Council Fellow
> >> National Institute for Experimental Arts

Douglas Kahn