Agreed. Although I get tired just thinking about the scale of such a
project! It is daunting enough to try to get "nature" back into notions of
media, especially from a radically positive approach. Hopefully, a
discourse on energies will lend more easily to the turbulences and
dynamical and complex systems at work driving the ecological disaster into
ever more drastic directions.

> with
>
> A hybrid 'systems' approach will deal with the sustainability, biology,
> media,
> and technology issues quite easily if you include models suggested by the
> likes
> of Howard Odum, Bertalanffy, Kenneth Boulding, Capra, Varela, and so on
> (see
> selected bibliography below). A liberal interpretation of systems ideas can
> be
> quite powerful in interpreting the dynamic of human relation, especially
> that
> mapped over/through techno-social systems. And, if you incorporate an even
> more
> radical dimension to the model -- that of electromagnetic fields/flows (or
> even
> more radical, simply energy flows -- which would include a
> cosmological/quantum
> dimension -- then the discussion can range freely to address most/all(!)
> pressing and present issues including sound!
>
> Kittler seemed to me to consider technique before considering the
> embeddedness
> of technique-as-codification-of-social-relation -- perhaps one reason that
> he
> put off North Amurikans...?
>
> my 2-cents for today...
>
> Cheers,
> JOhn
> --
>
> Bertalanffy, L. von, 1950. An Outline of General System Theory. The British
>
> Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 1(2), pp.134-165.
>
> Boulding, K.E., 1956. General Systems Theory � The Skeleton of Science.
> Management Science, 2(3), pp.197-208.
>
> Capra, F., 1997. The Web of Life: a new scientific understanding of living
>
> systems, New York, NY: Anchor Books.
>
> Hammond, D., 2003. The Science of Synthesis: Exploring the social
> implications
> of general systems theory, Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado.
>
> Kleidon, A. & Lorenz, R., 2005. Entropy Production by Earth System
> Processes. In
> Non-equilibrium Thermodynamics and the Production of Entropy: Life, Earth,
> and
> Beyond. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
>
> Koizumi, T., 1997. Kata and Kata-Thinking in Eastern and Western Thought.
> In G.
> Lasker, ed. The Proceedings of InterSymp �97. Windsor, Ontario, Canada:
> International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and
> Cybernetics, pp. 37-41.
>
> Miller, J., 1995. Living systems, Niwot, CO: University Press of Colorado.
>
> Odum, H.T., 1994. Ecological and General Systems: an introduction to
> systems
> ecology Rev. ed., Niwot, CO: University Press of Colorado.
>
> Odum, H.T., 2007. Environment, Power, and Society for the Twenty-First
> Century �
> The Hierarchy of Energy, New York, NY: Columbia University Press.

> [...]

Douglas Kahn
National Institute for Experimental Arts
College of Fine Arts
University of New South Wales, Sydney