Those are fascinating comments, John.  I've been interested in
scale-independence as a strategy of copying for a while.  You find it in
intriguing ways in Buddhism where you might have a Sutra, i.e. a teaching, that
has a one word version, a 1000 word version, and a 100,000 word version ... and
all are considered the same.  But how/why? This relates to my earlier comments
about the enigma of sameness, and the notion of non-sensuous similarity.  In In
Praise of Copying, one of the ways I approached this was through some of Morton
Feldman's ideas about scale ... for Feldman, a large part of the creative
process was deciding on what scale a deployment of certain elements starts to
become powerful.

Could you say more about scale-independence as you're using the term?

Sounds like a great dissertation ... what's the field of inquiry, if that isn't
too intrusive a question?

As for your last two lines: the sameness of the null set, or "nothing" is
precisely what I mean by a non-identical sameness!

But how do you see that operating in Douglas' book?

best
Marcus