Lots to chew on this morning. Only problem is that a cut in my finger got
infected overnight is now quite painful. If I start swearing mid-sentence,
you will know the reason...it's nothing personal.

Marcus is correct. We have been talking more theoretically here, whereas
the bulk of the book argues through the minutiae of historical event, with
several instances reconfiguring larger narratives, one of those being how
people heard natural in the telephone a decade before Hertz confirmed the
existence of electromagnetic waves and two decades before Marconi. Thus,
radio was heard before it was invented. This was based first of all on
documents by Thomas Watson, Bell's assistant, that had never been cited by
anyone before, and on trolling the anecdotal and technical depths of
telegraph and telephone literature. So that complicates "the history of
radio" not with the "noises" of nature to be eliminated but with electrical
sounds that people found fascinating and pleasurable. It puts "nature" back
among the origin stories of modern telecommunications, where nature has
been written out in favor of genius inventors, patent disputes, business
models, etc. It shows telephone lines functioning as scientific instruments
not just means of communication. And, taking one step back to Thoreau
listening to nature's Aeolian sounds on telegraph lines (the Telegraph
Harp), it requires a new term for hearing electromagnetic sounds on
telephone (and telegraph lines...and wirelessly) lines: Aelectrosonic. If
there is a small library on the Aeolian in literature, music and
philosophy, then we should be hearing a plugged-in version too. That the
Aeolian exists in nature and in instrumental (music/science) form is true
too for the Aelectrosonic, starts messing with nature/technology
distinctions. It directs attention to moments and mechanisms of
transduction amid propagations of energy. It turns out that "nature" has
been part of the technological circuit of telecommunications (earth
returns, grounds, ionospheric reflection...), and that there are broad
historical phases of nature going in and out of circuit. Then there are the
earth scale issues.

I worry that many of these observations will get lost in their
demonstration; that someone who might be interested in historical media
theory will chafe at reading about experimental musicians at the core; or
that music scholars will find it uncomfortable listening to the beautiful
glissandi of whistlers in the trenches of WWI; that theorists who often use
artworks as peripheral illustrations of formulations founded elsewhere will
find it odd that artists occupy places at the center; etc. Since finishing
the book I've started to elaborate some ideas separately in papers. Next
week, for instance, I'll present a paper at a conference on ecology and the
humanities at Australian National University on what I meant by "Icarus in
reverse" viz. global warming.

BTW, I'd forgotten the whole Ludwig Klages connection with rauschen and To
the Planetarium, although not sure where he dug up his phantoms and
ancients. If I remember correctly, Norbert Bolz's little book on Benjamin
had something about this and "anthropological materialism."