Hello everyone and thank you to Renate, Tim and Asha for inviting me!

Asha's points about pedagogy are ever-present in my mind. Many of the
narratives that we weave about our discipline eschew what might be
perceived as “irrelevant” elements of race, gender, and class. Yet
this detritus is important. People create music; people are the agents
in the creation of ideas. An individual's cumulative experience stands
behind the sound.

As the love child of music and technology, electronic music in its
current state is exploding with creative uses of computer code. So if
we turn our attention to a computer science course, we quickly see
that these courses are often devoid—probably for the sake of time and
efficiency—of discussions about agents: the people who made the code,
functions, or scripts and their histories. Frankly, for computer
scientists, an employer probably does not care if a job applicant the
history of Bjarne Stroustrup and C++.

The stories of innovators such as Leon Theremin and Robert Moog are
written into our histories of development, but are only included when
they are necessary to chronicle the basic evolution of the
technologies. By disavowing the human history of our field, we leave
behind real, important detritus: the valuable information about our
innovators from all backgrounds. These stories are necessary to the
study of electronic music because they provide paradigms for students
who are in the process of becoming the next generation of innovators.
All artists at one point in their career have read a fact or detail in
a biography (or heard a story/urban legend) about a luminary in their
field that inspired them. Even more powerful are these histories for
students who might not have shared experiences with their mentors or
cohort. Students benefit from identifying with the stories of
innovators who came before them, and the usefulness of identification,
of course, is not exclusive to race, gender, and class.

My analysis is one of a practitioner and student of electronic music
not a historian, so I freely admit that
this is a surface look which does not fully account for wider cultural
implications.

I look forward to all of your thoughts!

Rachel

racheldevorahtrapp.com