dear all

Daniel, I am finding your response on colonial history not at all distracting
from the discussion...

(and thanks to Sue's earlier posting in which she is, perhaps understandably,
critical of my scepticism and my proposing the term 'slapstick' for defenseless
encounters with interactive dispositifs or artificial intelligence machines --
and incidentally, Sue, I had a similar hilarious accident some years ago in
Switzerland during my first skying outing going up on the "chair" lift
[english, not french] and failing to understand/know the jump off technique at
the summit and getting entangled in the lift mechanism to the extent that they
had to stop the whole machine as I virtually hung upside down like an 'angel
caido' or, to use a better image (following tarot cards) like El Colgado, a man
hanging upside down from one foot 'who is unable to move or make any
decisions... without the power to give form or direction to his life...')..

I guess the Colgado experience stuck with me and I am cautious about what Sue
calls the "amazing potential to understand the intertwinedness of one's own
experience in-and-as the system, through spending time in-and-as some amazing
interactive environments..."

(In fact, do we not spend much of our life in interactions, with shopping
malls, schools, banks, streets, social places, institutions, playing fields,
forests, festivals, libraries, etc?)

so now it (the colonial history and antropófago) makes me wonder whether we can
revisit "porosity" as well, a term that was used repeatedly by some of you as
if it were a positive valuation of embodied experience.
What if it were not?

And perhaps, Daniel, the distractions need to go further, what if we indeed for
a moment looked at language and mis/translations or porosities that are,
politically very highly charged?

(As to Brasilian modernism and then the 60s/70s, I do remember that Hélio
Oticica's work was incredibly inspiring for us in the DAP-Lab, and Michèle
Danjoux and I – as we began to work on wearables and constructing
wearable instruments – looked to Oiticica's parangolés and the exuberant
experiences the wearers had when dancing with/through the colorful cloth (I
wrote a small piece, "Bodies of Color," Performing Arts Journal 87 (2007),
35-45,
available here:
http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/pajj.2007.29.3.35))

The word that I came across today is "Surzhyk" (originally it meant flour or
bread made from mixed grains, e.g., wheat with rye) (Cyrillic: су́ржик)
denoting a range of mixed sociolects of Ukrainian and Russian languages used in
certain regions of Ukraine and adjacent lands, and a cultural ethnographer
(cited in the German FAZ newspaper) discussed the problems in today's political
crisis in the Ukraine (the postcolonial Ukraine) where some or most people in
Western  Ukraine speak Ukrainian whereas many in Eastern Ukraine speak Russian
and many, especially in the countryside, speak Surzhyk and that can be
dangerous either in the East or the West; in fact the choice of a language (and
I assume for a moment that dialects are grown and culturally evolved and thus
embodied) at the moment reflects the huge dangers of polarization as well as
mingling.

Now, refering to the political crisis in the Occupied Territories and Gaza, an
interview with mathematician/logic/computer scientist Helmut Veith in last
weekend's Sueddeutsche Zeitung struck my attention as the talk centered on
algorithms and artificial intelligence dispositifs, and Mr Veith at some point
ventured to say that logic is used to draw insights and consequences about the
world, and that artificial intelligence software simulates how machine learning
can be effective (for example fuzzy logics dealing with ambiguities of
translations of language); then he says, asked about drone strikes carried out
by machine intelligence, that "es wäre im eigentlichen Sinn des Wortes
unmenschlich, Entscheidungen über Leben und Tod dem Computer zu überlassen. Es
sei denn, zwei Drohnen erschiessen sich gegenseitig, das wäre mir
sympathisch....."
[trans:  "it would be in the true sense of the word inhuman to leave decisions
about life and death to the computer. Unless two drones shoot each other, that
would be sympathetic to me ..... "

Could one argue that "virtual embodiment" is a parochial media arts concern or
academic research area? Thus of little consequence for most people except that
affordances, say, Google's private buses in San Francisco, or other corporate
conglomerates' machinations (ebay now also working with Sotheby, I heard, to
enlarge auction customer base virtually speaking), will draw defenses and
protests, or make you question where your sympathies lie when the drone hits
your house.  (Sorry, this last thought needs more thinking through, but friends
who are/were in Palestinia and are writing me make me anxious).

regards
Johannes Birringer