Dear <<empyre>>, Johannes, John,

Reading your questions, Johannes, I have John Hopkins's wonderful "meta-commentary" in my mind, with its "altered states" of memory and the "explicitly definable forms and shapes" "abstracted from the universal flux". What I wonder at here is that and whether:

"individual embodied memory is directly experienced as a changed body state. externalizing memory is a particular and collective phenomena which arises when the pain of actual experience and its associated memory is too much to bear. externalizing is available from the same technologies (tele) which cause the pain to begin with — dislocation and the pain of separation. perhaps technological development may not proceed fully until the relevant memories are externalized to begin with, then the pain of alienation is transferred to a painless place."

I am more familiar with Henri Bergson's notion of matter as memory in its most contracted form... to which it would be easy to add, "forms and shapes" "abstracted from the universal flux". Is pain caused by the same "technologies (tele)" which 'externalise'? and do both "dislocation and the pain of separation" go with externalising memory? The latter convokes the Fort/Da game which plays "too much to bear" without too much "technological development".

The crux, however, of John's meta-commentary remains with the particular notion of mediation through technology which is the coinage of this discussion - and has been variously coined throughout this discussion's threads. So it is perhaps as injudicious to elide child's play with serious, collectively reticulated, techno-social concerns, as it is discursive threads with widow's weeds, the outward symbolic of private mourning pain.

Is it? Who's to judge? when so many of these power-plays are certainly playful? Facebook, I've heard tell, is a game: and the kids think it's all right; and the kids, I've heard tell, are all right. It has also been said that without football there would have been revolution in England long ago. We can come together and play as if meta-data - or metaphor, for that matter - did not exist. Socially responsible application of media might literally be impossible where art can't play, where it insists on meta-commentary and on itself as metaphor; or "real virtualisation".

John mentions the cloud "as one example of a centralized architecture that removes the trace of the digital artifact wholly out of the purview of the individual (creator, participant)", where the problem is artifacture, but the cloud isn't really a problem, it's the fact, the factiture (the embodied individual's manufacture of facts out of collective illusions), that it can cause any resentment, be resented for "removing the trace" from (of/f) the "individual" - and here we again feel the telepresence of the gesture. The cloud is as much the problem as Big Data is the solution. As John wittily points out, do we have the collective will to commit energetic resources, howsoever they may be derived, to maintain Big Data? or your data?

A fear of "loss of autonomy" is inescapable, where - again, John - there is "any externalization", and the degree to which the individual "falls under this regime", this ideological regime, I would add, occupies a place on a sliding scale. Then, what occupation does the sliding-scale place, but that of the factitioner, the quantic surveyor, the data-garnerer?

I think, however, John does provide for escape - from the inescapable pervasion of the phenomenological virtual - in the image critical for the "fundamentally ordered system" (which is the control society of global capture), since "timely retrieval is critical for a functioning archive": "stepping out applies not only to the making of the artifact but also to the (onerous) process of archiving". Yes, the archive reticulates back into the archive - but, note, only as "functioning", functional, not as useless or failed or with whatever kind of abjecture or minoritarian becoming artifacture likes to (ad)dress to itself, and, of course, /archive/ itself, which is the timely calling and can be playful certainly.

Minus Theatre is up to this stepping out or escape in the time-images we are making. (Clayton Crockett's book, /Deleuze Beyond Badiou/, has been useful here.)

I am proud to say that I "would argue that facebook's daily and undisclosed experiments on "us" have affected [my] performance faculties" in so far as a previous social network project called company bears down with all the pain of its failure (to get sufficient investment - a critical success), temporal dislocation, memorial externalisation on the faculties, including ethological, I bring to Minus Theatre. But this is more an aside.

Since you have asked, Johannes, thank you, Minus Theatre is a group of performers - whether with backgrounds in theatre, dance, art-performance or no performance - who, by luck, happen to be interested enough in performing or playing, certainly, to meet regularly to experiment in what we, laughing, call theatre, which is my background, as well as languages, illumined by luck, since we are mostly English-as-second-language speakers, out of which has arisen a practice with five languages spoken in performance, including this very capacity, which we flatter with the phrase "our own theatrical language". You are welcome to come and join us; as Johannes indicates, we have a gesture on FB, make a showing, https://www.facebook.com/minustheatre

The best practical vocabulary I've found so far to talk about what we're doing comes from Esa Kirkkopelto's work in Helsinki so I'm pleased to meet Carrie Noland, thanks. The provisory performance white flower gathered a series of pieces or stories, each having a different lead, the rest of the group playing parts: to hint - I am concerned lest I too-overburden this discussion with data! -, exploding the individual life (a theatre of the individual life) and the time-frame of the story, putting its rhythm's out of phase, towards a critical phase-shift to perhaps "a "beyond that is found in the virtual embodiment of a crisis which is brought to us in art" - I am afraid to disappoint in this also, since I don't fear this "beyond", it is the subject of our current workshops. (The thinking being, beyond the sum of time-images we make following our methodology, there is a ... something, maybe it's Goya, maybe Bacon! ... Again, your input by other channels, gestures, would be welcomed.)

Best,
Simon Taylor