Dear Johannes, et. al,

Thanks for your response. You’ve picked up on one of the issues I’ve been
wrestling with the past few years as a creative practitioner (artist?)
functioning within traditional research-led universities. The Moments in Place
documentation you saw on Vimeo was created as a REF submission and attempts to
demonstrate the links between the underlying Arts and Humanities Research and
the Creative Practice.. In trying to address both, I don’t believe I’ve
addressed either sufficiently, and am in the process of writing new
documentation for both.

The archaeological or heritage work we addressed through the Motion in Place
Platform (MiPP) attempts to use debates surrounding embodiment and bodily
practices to inform our understanding of past cultures. In short, we attempted
to look at landscapes and archeological records not a sculptures or
illustrative records, but to place embodied researchers in human-scale
(re)constructions. We had no desire, or interest, to “virtualise” existing
experiences or practices. Rather, we explored methods of (re)constructing
places which no longer exist. We did this both through “virtual”
(re)constructions using interactive technologies as well as through “physical”
(re)constructions in collaboration with the experimental archaeologists at
Butser Ancient Farm. I’ve adopted Stuart Dunn’s use of the term
“(re)construction” to hilight the fact that we constructed several models from
the archeological evidence using timber, thatching, projectors and inertial
capture suits. If you’d like an overview of the work, may I recommend:

the JOCCH article at:  http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2532632
The EVA article at: http://ewic.bcs.org/content/ConWebDoc/46121

or these book chapters:

Woolford K, Dunn S., (2014) "Micro-Mobilities and Affordances of Past Places",
Past Mobilities: Archaeological Approaches to Movement and Mobility, Ashgate
Publishing: Farhnam, pp. 113-128.

Dunn, S, Woolford, K., (2013) “Reconfiguring experimental archaeology using 3D
reconstruction”, Electronic Visualisation in Arts and Culture, Springer Verlag,
pp 277-291.

It’s very interesting that your start your response with memories of a funeral.
I hope you won’t think of me as being insensitive in making a comparison
between your experience and what we’ve attempted to address through the MiPP
projects.

On 25 Jul 2014, at 23:24, Johannes Birringer <johannes.birrin...@brunel.ac.uk>
wrote:

> dear all
>
> [Kirk schreibt]
>
>>> it’s interesting to look at it from the perspective of Simon’s question,
>>> “does virtual embodiment depend on, augment or replace bodily practices?”.
>>> Of course we can claim this piece augments current bodily practices by
>>> allowing offsets between the performance and perception thereof. However,
>>> more happens through pieces such as this. I used different techniques to
>>> render the performers as semi-tangible, semi-present or even semi-embodied,
>>> because I wanted to evoke notions of ghosts and hauntings. These performers
>>> aren’t in the place at the time they are observed, but they were. The
>>> experience of the live performance was very different from the performance
>>> of the mediated or “virtual” performance. As you can see from the
>>> documentation, when we captured a “live” performance in a busy shopping
>>> street on a Saturday in Brighton, there was a lot of unintentional
>>> interaction from shoppers. When you go back to (re)create the performance
>>> at the same site, it’s never the same. Either shoppers walk straight at you
>>> making it difficult to observe the performance, or you’re in a quiet, empty
>>> space where the movements of the dancer makes less sense. The mediated
>>> performance is re-created or created anew each time it’s observed.>>
>

> I'd like to thank Sally Jane, Wesley and Kirk, for inviting us to visit
> Brighton (via vimeo and play.google.com/store/apps). Also, Kirk reopened a
> question posed at the beginning of the month by Sue and Simon (see in quote)
> – “does virtual embodiment depend on, augment or replace bodily practices?”.
>
> I wondered whether others went to have a look/listen?
>
> These work examples are really helpful, and inspiring thought (Wireless
> Fidelity / Moments in Place), and I am grappling to find a good response, as
> they deserve so.
>
> Having just come home from the funeral that I had mentioned, my mind is
> adrift. The funeral was a funeral, and I have not attended many recently, not
> in the ancestral village, and I was not entirely prepared for the affect it
> had on me, in the presence of so many people from the village, as we attended
> the church service, then walked up the hill to the cemetery, then followed
> the precise ritual of attending to the last farewell to the deceased member
> of family and community, each action seemed scripted and yet natural,
> inevitable and communal, clear, somber and quiet, in place or in a distinct
> relationship to this location, the occasion of gathering, and the "place
> binding" (here i quote Kirk's reference to Tim Ingold whose writing on being
> ensounded and moving in sound i always admired (e.g. "Against
> Soundscape/Autumn Leaves"). The last ceremony was in silence, no sound heard
> except the rustling of leaves and the wind of an on-coming storm that did not
> arrive, the clouds drifting away slowly as we gathered later on some empty
> [...]

Kirk Woolford   School of Arts
 x6413                  10aNC01