Dear all,

last day of July has come, and, thanks to Jacky, we are suddenly on to sports
and a quite fascinating subject regarding the current era of
technological reproducibility of the aura of high performance, or as you argue

the extreme embodiment of  their sports discipline, though along side there is
a virtual body , data _video, statistics, motion capture data_ collected
through all kinds of tracking technology. This virtual body is there to assist
in elevating the athlete slightly above their physical 'limitations'.

This is interesting on many counts  --- thanks also to Sue for expanding on her
work and the choreographic or performative "embodied presence of place" (Sue
schreibt:  " the kinaesthetic patterns of the there-and-then reveal the
presence of ghost gestures that haunt the here-and-now, wherever that may be".
There are some cross-overs to Moments in Place....").  The feedback you quoted,
Sue, is of course also fascinating as I was imagining myself, not having
experienced this haptic-dance project, what it would be like to feel a dance
but not see the dancer.

This is perhaps analogous to radio. And what it leaves to the imagination,
Jacky.  You remembered (and made your 'Intimate Irrelevant Moments') about the
1974 final world cup game (Germany-Netherlands), which I remember having
watched.  On the other hand, before our time, there was a final  (a few years
after the war, and a defeated and humiliated germany was allowed to participate
again), in 1954, in Switzerland, when Germany won 3:2 against Hungary and there
was no television, only radio, and yet the final minutes of this game have had
mythical proportions in German culture  and yet the action was only ever
experienced aurally by the listeners to the radio broadcast,  the voice of the
broadcast commentator, by the time I grew up, had become a collective
reverberant, a series of vocal gestures perhaps indeed comparable to a
"monument" in Kirk's sense of an intangible heritage, and something that could
perhaps be re-constructed via archaeology.......

...and an "audio" archaeology  (of virtual embodiments of sound and music, as
well as instruments) seems to be at the heart of a current exhibit at the
Science Museum in London which I believe drew from the archives of the BBC and
also featured a female inventor and sound artist probably not many have heard
of -- Daphne Oram. The wall texts of the exhibit say that the museum " unveils
lost gem of electronic music", the Oramics Machine, a unique synthesizer -
invented in the1960s by Daphne Oram  who established the BBC Radiophonic
Workshop. The synthesizer machine (see:
http://www.nervoussquirrel.com/oramics.html) is rather amazing as it seems to
have been an early synthesiser that has audio parameters controlled and
sequenced by drawing on strips of clear film (!). Oram drew Michaux-like
sinuous curves, shapes, graphic signs, figures and gestures onto film strips.
The film is wound across a horizontal bed, with the graphical elements
interpreted by light sensors.

The sound was early electronic sine waves, oscillations and noises etc (as rock
musicians then also started to use them when the Moog Synthesizer became
available); well now, Jacky, can you tell us more about your video and what you
actually mean by vector video -- watching your "Impression of Bimhuis Dance &
music improv Lab" (http://vimeo.com/99429183), your camera work looks like mine
and I don;t know whaty vector video is. I also was not sure what (in that
video) was the camera's observation point of view as it seemed
straightforwardly focussed on the dancer and the dance gestures.

Sue's work on inhabiting places (then and there and here and now), or Kirk's
experimental archaeology with digital means thus gains an interesting
contradictory dimension:  if we cannot see the place or experience it with our
own body,
but only through virtual means (and an other body becoming virtual, yes?), how
d o  we know or sense  (mentioning Harun Farocki,  whose critical images surely
would interest Simon Taylor, reminds of what Brecht said about photography:
namely that a photograph of the Krupp Steel Works does not tell us anything
about the Krupp Steel Works), through "amplification"  or other definition (HD
, 3D or other wise), what is the matter?

(radio, by the way, is back, and thus our work of imagination.  I read the
other day that audio books are becoming more and more popular, folks like to
listen to literature,  I find this rather wonderful, as I enjoy imagining
places and characters).

regards
Johannes Birringer
dap-lab