Hi all,

Thanks, Ross, Adrian, and others for your great comments. I'm particularly
encouraged and intrigued by Adrian's hope that we may be able to subvert
neoliberalism via design in the "public interest," and so on. I also want
to draw attention to John's comments:

...but for the practices to be actualized we should suspend remote
conversations that are mediated by a massive global telecommunications
infrastructure that is fully dependent on hydrocarbons. (We are the
neo-liberals here communicating via this technology)

As I sit here writing and utterly dependent on hydrocarbons, I'm reminded
of how interdependent practices and materials are in our neoliberalization
of all last vestiges of a design future, and how their configuration will
have to change, drastically, if we are indeed going to design _for_ a
Future (which is what John's point is, I think). In this regard, I can't
help but think of Jeanne van Heeswijk's work I saw this summer in
Rotterdam  (
http://www.jeanneworks.net/projects/freehouse_-_radicalizing_the_local/#/jeanneworks/);
her project Freehouse reconceptualizes the very terms of "design," altering
its methods and materials, by designing social spaces for civil
disobedience, which empower "communities to become their own antidote."

In any case, I'm curious about the extent to which design
practices/materials need to become uncertain, or even unrecognizable, to
themselves in order to generate the design space that Adrian has in mind.
In the context of scientific practice, which has seen its share of
commodification in the last decades, Isabelle Stengers draws on A. N.
Whitehead's call for "uncertainty" in the face of scientific "minds in a
groove."  In today's era of "fast science" that has locked in our future
for us, "slow science" is a way to reclaim uncertain futures, by not
reducing the world's messiness to what can be fixed. We cannot ignore
messiness, she claims, by dreaming up or fantasizing about how to correct
it; we have to learn to live with messiness, and  learn from it. We have to
become apprentices to mess even. This is what "slow science" asks of
scientists. I guess I'm wondering whether we can make a similar appeal to
"slow design," and what that would look like. How would learning to design
_with_ mess-- instead of  trying to fix it-- reconfigure the
practices/materials that have stolen uncertain futures from us?

Just some thoughts...

Thanks!