It’s late in the day, and late in the week, but there are still a few threads
intriguing me. Most especially, the “opposite” of this month’s theme: analog.

The discussion of analog vs./and/or digital discussed by everyone, but
especially Ange Albertini, Andres Ramirez Gaviria, and John Hopkins, really
exposes the intricacies and thorny issues present. At times the distinction
becomes a purely technical one based on sampling, or a social one that responds
to — and resists — production, or even a personal one invested in “creativity”
or “innovation”. I’m reminded of Wendy Chun’s (“Programmed Visions”, p. 146 ff)
mathematical and technical description of sophisticated early analog computers,
especially the differential analyzer. She writes, “intriguingly, direct
representation — or more accurately correspondence — makes analog machines
live, vivid, and direct.” In contrast, digital computers, “by hiding mimesis,
could simulate any other machines… [but,] the [digital] computer becomes a
simulacrum, rather than a simulation.” I find Chun’s perspective so refreshing
because it makes a case for analog computing not just because they are faster
(they are, depending on how you “count”), but simply because they are more
*real*. The downside of digital objects is precisely that they aren’t really
for humans, or, perhaps, even about human things. Ashley’s Scarlett’s worry
that these processes occur outside of human perception, and the discussions of
PRACTICE throughout the week, seem to be entirely cognizant of this deficiency.
Perhaps we need to think more seriously about analog computing!
(My favourite analog computing apparatus is spaghetti, which makes a mighty
efficient sort algorithm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_sort)

And, speaking of the sub-perceptual matters of PRACTICE, Ange Albertini’s
discussion of the non-digital of digital apparatuses reminded me of Kryoflux
(http://www.kryoflux.com/), a tool used by digital archivists to forensically
preserve floppy disks. Perhaps Ange is familiar with the tool, since he even
mentioned how fuzzy bits were frequently used for copy protection. Indeed, the
schemes used to physically instantiated copy protection in floppy disks were
inventive! Long sectors, timing (in)precisions, and strange write methods were
used to ensure that disks could not be copied, or if copied, could be detected
by software. The advantage of a tool like Kryoflux is that when copying digital
data it does not copy at the level of the digital, instead, it copies magnetic
flux changes. Matt Kirschenbaum uses Kryoflux when performing digital forensics
at the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities, and has written a
little about their setup:
http://www.bitcurator.net/2013/08/02/building-a-digital-curation-workstation-with-bitcurator-update/

Unfortunately, the theoretical underpinnings of Kryoflux are still somewhat
under-explored (again, Kirschenbaum is the point person here, with his
“Mechanisms”). The cross-over between PRACTICE, analog, and digital is
riveting. I was once working on a paper at these intersections using Kryoflux
as a central lever, but it never got anywhere, so, in its stead, here’s an
image of Kryoflux’s software analysing a disk.
http://www.softpres.org/_media/kryoflux:ui:kfui-scat-bad.png?w=&h=&cache=cache
The green blocks are good sectors of the disk, the red a bad sector. It has
detected the disk format (and thus can sort out sector data), in this case it
is an Apple DOS disk. And finally, the plot on the right show the actual magnet
flux. This plot of the magnetic flux isn’t just a pretty picture, with a
trained eye one can actually detect abnormalities such as copy protection
schemes.

~Quinn DuPont (iqdupont.com)