closing out the week...

recently adapted mother courage, and closed it with a short play (below); i'm
interested in the permission to despair... not to a vanishing point, but to
suspend in the midst of intractable difficulty. this suspension can model
ascension? *sustained* despair is an aspect of peace (which is a viable, daily
tension)?

A THOUSAND ELSEWHERE
(An old woman on a bus. A sparrow.)

WOMAN
Euphorbia.

RAVEN
Her happy memories.

WOMAN
Forsythia.

RAVEN
She is a ghost because the story is lost. The heat.

WOMAN
Texas…

RAVEN
The space.

WOMAN
Marfa.

RAVEN
The silence, which is light. Woman on bus. Her dead child. A
ghost, lost. Blames you. Prays.

WOMAN
To see only you, to be forgiven, to know only darkness, the
future.

RAVEN
And in prayer, bringing to flower her happy memories, letting
her memories go as she has them, happiness go, one at a time. Thin.

WOMAN
With Alison’s autistic son.

RAVEN
A bus of women.

WOMAN
Running. Even in the rain.

RAVEN
Letting them go. What they each have in common is they’ve
all lost a child.

WOMAN
Bicycling with my brother from movie to movie.

RAVEN
Women on the bus disappearing one at a time; she doesn’t
forgive them either.

WOMAN
Second time married, confirmation of vows. Priest. Eye to
eye under X.

RAVEN
May, let…

WOMAN
Texas where family brought to be less than human, to affirm
the human in whiteness.

RAVEN
Starts winking out.

WOMAN
Connections between this book and that book, the spiderweb
world of text.

RAVEN
Optional loss of reading; thick glasses, no glasses. Bus
moving through riots. Tear gas.

WOMAN
Mornings.

RAVEN
All creation depends on her.

WOMAN
Snow on Halloween.

RAVEN
Lives in and through her, in her love.

WOMAN
Mornings.

RAVEN
She has stopped her love. Drills and hammers. The guns of
the troopers. Withdraws from the field, a Fergus. Bus gasps, dispels, beats at
a stop.

WOMAN (Looking out window.)
Raven left.

RAVEN
Everyone gone in the world, having let happiness and all
creation go, there is a raven left. Creation depends on her attention and she,
on the bus, letting –
(Bus starts up.)

WOMAN
Jungle gym.

RAVEN
Epiclesis.

WOMAN
Now.

RAVEN
Tree is gone; raven no place to light. Jungle gym =
temptation, climbing the complexities of her mind, out of memories, living the
energy of memory with no savor of things remembered.

WOMAN
Raven steals hat.

RAVEN
I steal the woman’s hat. Stops thinking. Raven and hat
disappear. Hypostasis. Invisible raven.

WOMAN
Learning to pray in hospital rooms, under coal-to-diamond
pressure. Blue rug, brown curtain.

Life = cross = instrument of forgiveness.

INVISIBLE RAVEN
And her son is dead. The return of the world is up to her. Raven
gone.

The End