Johannes, I only just got to watch a German trailer of Waffenstillstand and I
assume when you say “prefer” that film, I assume you are not comparing them. I
don’t see how they can be compared.
I come from a place where Robert Bresson is one of the best filmmakers, so it
is a very quiet place - hence that Gueules Cassées old film - without its new
overpowering track - fills me up through its vacuum.
This is an important concept for me that I saw described in the Hebrew word for
Compassion Rachmanut which contains the word for Matrix, having to make room
for another inside one’s womb.
Fullness does not invite anything else, the space is already taken. This
applies to sound, pictures, words, etc…

About distance, since it is one of the topics here, while I was always
interested in many films that brought up the distance that Brecht wished for,
we have now a new distance, the remoteness of great distances.
Of course, there was also distance with Claude Eatherly - Gunther Anders
exchanged letters with the US bomber (Hiroshima).
Good luck in Dresden.

Pier
----
> On Nov 12, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Johannes Birringer
> <johannes.birrin...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> But can we also address performance, and film, and alternate image practices
> (Pier, I watched and listended to "Gueules cassées - Men with broken faces
> (1918)", several times)?   What a calm, quiet indictment
> of war, and homage to the theatre of prosthetics.  There is of course no
> solution to war against war.  I would prefer Wafffenstillstand.

My e-mail signature this month of November (during my direct involvement with
-empyre) will have a growing list of works that I found to be powerful - but I
do question what “power” means.
"Chechen Lullaby" - Directed by Nino Kirtadze —>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEmqHZAn8lQ (also on my website)
“Is Anyone Taking Any Notice?” by Don McCullin —>
http://piermarton.info/don-mccullin/
"War Against War/Krieg dem Kriege/Guerre à la Guerre! War against War! Oorlog
aan den Oorlog" by Ernst Friedrich (recent intro by Doug Kellner) - Various
editions. Last one published in Sept. 2014 (available online).
"At the Mind’s Limit" by Jean Améry
“Shoah” -  Directed by Claude Lanzmann
And this quote: “. . . only on the firm foundation of unyielding despair, can
the soul’s habitation be safely built.” - Bertrand Russell, 1923
===============================
PM_uoʇɹɐɯ_ɹǝıd —> http://piermarton.info
School Of No  Media —> http://schoolofnomedia.com/
About —> http://about.me/piermarton
BrainBleed—> http://brainbleed.wordpress.com/
_____________________________
One of the signs of passing youth is the birth of a sense of fellowship with
other human beings as we take our place among them. Virginia Woolf
The essence of normalcy is the refusal of reality. Ernst Becker
When something seems "the most obvious thing in the world," it means that any
attempt to understand the world has been given up. Bertolt Brecht
An idea becomes false the moment one becomes satisfied by it. Alain
There are no dangerous thoughts; thinking itself is dangerous. Hannah Arendt
When around you, you hear the word "Jew" pronounced, be on guard, they are
speaking about you. Frantz Fanon
If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor
freedom and yet renounce controversy are people who want crops without
ploughing the ground. Frederick Douglass
Silence is the authentic mode of speaking. Claude Lanzmann