Dear Alan,

it’s always problematic to argue that there is a difference between human
beings and other species. The longer one looks at it the smaller the difference
become. But I think the use of violence is in fact quite different. It is true
that violence between animals often has a kind of theatrical or performative
element. What decides a fight is not always being strong: to intimidate the
rival is crucial. But I doubt that torture can be found between animals: the
object of torture is torture, George Orwell wrote this in his Nineteen
Eight-Four. The object of torture is not to intimidate the other but to
traumatize the victim, to traumatize the victim’s psyche. And the problem seems
to be that this is taking place on the basis of a kind of split: a torturer
often develops quite an intense relation to the victim and a quite complex
knowledge of his psyche. Is this empathy? Probably yes. Empathy is no guaranty
against cruelty. It never was. Shakespeare made it already very clear. From
Titus Andronicus till Othello: who is more conscious about the singular psyche
of the other than    Shakespeare’s cruel heroes?

Reinhold