Dear Pier:

The violence of communication/language: The subject is constituted by language
and other forms of communication. This is why speech acts and other forms of
communication are not only performative in the sense of Austin, they do not
only create social facts, they have a direct impact on the subject. Therefore
language is powerful, but it can also be violent, it can hurt. It can deprive
the subject from its place, it can rob it the possibility to express its life.
Judith Butler’s book on hate speech gives a good first idea about this.
Primo Levi remembers as one of the first experiences after his deportation to
the Concentration and Extermination Camp Auschwitz that he opened the window of
the barack to break an icicle. He was thirsty. Immediately a watchman appeared
and snatched the icicle out of his hand. „‚Warum - Why“, did I ask in my simple
German. ‚Hier ist kein Warum - Here is no why/reason‘‚ he answered and pushed
me away.“ Language can be violent by depriving the other from what is his
cultural ground: f.e. that there is always a reason.
The language of antisemitism in Germany was violent. But there was something
perhaps even worse than the hate speech of insult and abuse: the language that
organized the attempt of extermination. This language actually killed. It
killed by denying and organizing the crime at the same time. Look and listen to
Claude Lanzmann’s Shoah, the documents the historian Raul Hilberg is analyzing
in this film, or, especially, the long conversation that Lanzmann has with
Franz Suchomel, SS-officer in Treblinka.

The communication of violence: To understand the dynamics of (political)
violence it is crucial to see that (political) violence is always staged, an
act of communication not necessarily with the direct victim but with the third
part. The message can be different, depending on the relation the witness has
to the victim and the perpetrator. Killing someone in front of a videocamera is
a performative act. All sorts of terrorism are speech acts addressed to the
witnesses.

Catharsis: I really would like to know how you understand the mechanism of
catharsis and if you think performance art can be part of catharsis. As long as
I have no idea how catharsis works I would prefer to speak of re-enactment or
other forms of confrontation with violence that happened in the past.

Reinhold