Ricardo--
thanks for this. I would add that the violence produced by neoliberalisms
also works in this networked fashion. The disappearances in Colombia, the
expulsion of minoritarian communities in Honduras and Guatemala, or the
massacre of the students (and so many more) in Mexico, police killings of
black men and so on are not isolated events, but they are also not causal.
To the politics of the question--how can we make for a more equitable, just
society? the politics of the answer seems shockingly similar--eliminate
those who challenge our authority or stand in the way of profits. Banks,
businesses, the drug trade, and the politicians these all control tacitly
endorse the glocal gestures that are enacted locally, both online
(Argentina) and on the streets (Ayotzinapa).
Just a thought!
Diana

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 6:00 AM, Ricardo Dominguez <rrdoming...@ucsd.edu>
wrote:

> Hola Tod@s,
>
> Thanks for inviting me to participate and meditate on local/global
> platforms of care, resistance, and activation. Especially in terms of the
> back and forth quality of activist real-bodies in the streets and
> data-bodies interacting with one another and amplifying one another. But
> for the moment I would like to make a more general presentation on the
> idea of lobal gestures.
>
> One of the main projects of Electronic Disturbance Theater 1.0/2.0 and
> b.a.n.g. lab is that neoliberalism(s) often function within the trajectory
> of the glocal—that is transnational corporations parachute their agendas,
> economies, stores, on a global level to the local level. Starbucks,
> McDonalds, they're like the cathedrals of old; they are centers of command
> and control on a glocal level. So the gestures that we have participated
> in might be named or located around what we name the lobal, and the lobal
> isn't about trying to establish a field of homogeneity, say, like
> McDonalds’s golden arches, but more specifically to share a condition of
> the local to local, as a peer-to-peer gesture, on a global scale.
>
> This is perhaps not so much about materialization of the social-as-copy,
> but a conceptual sharing of a politics of the question. For instance, we
> could look at the Zapatistas as a lobal network that spreads a question
> about the nature of what a local in response might be to the golden arches
> that neoliberalism(s) drop on us and embed into the local space-time
> continuum. Each response is different for each locality. The local
> response in San Diego, California to this question is different than the
> one in Chiapas in terms of seeking alternative forms of living beyond
> “capitalist realism(s).”
>
> Then (and still today) we are faced with the glocal movements of
> neoliberalism(s), so we had to imagine how we could, on a local level,
> respond to, trespass, or access conflicts transpiring globally. So those
> involved in the Zapatistas movement would say, “We share peer-to-peer the
> politics of the question: ‘what are savage neoliberalism(s) doing where
> you are?’” But the response or the tactics of both creative resistance or,
> for us, of disturbance, would be different, because what happens in San
> Francisco, what happens in Chiapas, or what happens in Mumbai has a
> material difference on the local level.
>
> So lobalism(s) share the politics of the question of what one can access,
> what one can trespass, disturb, and manifest as alternative conditions
> that oppose glocal neoliberalisms’ answers to every question and problem.
> Along with the Zapatistas and other activists, we contend that another
> world is possible beyond the deep state of glocal neoliberalism(s), and we
> continue to ask, “How can one disturb and shift the flows of capitalist
> realism in one’s neighborhood?”
>
> > ----------empyre- soft-skinned space----------------------
> [...]

Diana Taylor
University Professor
Professor, Performance Studies and Spanish
Director, Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics
Tisch School of the Arts
NYU
721 Broadway,6th fl.
New York, NY 10003