I think the typecode and separate document are orthogonal.  There has been
discussion of adding enhancements to EAP-TLS, such as channel bindings, which
would probably not be backward compatible.  In this case we would need a new
typecode for this new protocol.  PSK or other ciphersuites could be negotiated
in TLS under this method type.

Joe