Hi Joe,

I don't see much wrong with EAP-GTC, and I may end up using it for
legacy RADIUS support, But there are two arguments against using it.

1. The typical deployment of an IKE gateway is that there's a RADIUS
or LDAP server somewhere in the internal network or even on another
network in the case of a branch office gateway. EAP is usually
forwarded to that server. If the forwarded payload is GTC, it's
something malicious (perhaps on the internal network) might sniff it
and get the password.

2. There is a threat scenario described in http://eprint.iacr.org/2002/163
. The idea is that a client that does EAP-GTC will do it both in a
secure tunnel (such as in IKEv2) and outside of a secure tunnel (such
as 802.1x). Someone sniffing the 802.1x will be able to acquire the
password.  This sounds simplistic to me, but more realistically, if
IKEv2 (or even more so - TLS) is authenticated with a password, it may
be tempting, as Dan pointed out, to uncheck the "verify server
certificate" because "we're authenticating with a certificate".

IOW, the user is actually authenticating to the RADIUS server, which
tells the gateway that the user is authenticated. Since the gateway
can't authenticate the user on its own, it makes sense that the client
can't authenticate the gateway on its own. The RADIUS server sends the
MSK to the gateway and the gateway sends a PoP to the client, and that
is the proof the client has that the gateway is "authentic". But for
this to work, you need an EAP method that (1) generates keys, and (2)
mutually authenticates the client and server.  These are required in
the IKEv2 RFC.

Tunneling a method like EAP-GTC gives you the keys and the mutual
authentication but it requires that the client be able to verify the
server certificate, and it requires that the tunneling go all the way
to the server, rather than GTC going to the server, while the tunnel
terminates at the gateway.  It still takes a lot of round trips to get
it to work, and a non-tunneled method like EAP-SRP or EAP-pwd would
probably be better suited.

Yoav