Alan DeKok [mailto://al...@deployingradius.com] writes:

> Alper Yegin wrote:
> > I’m not against this. But let’s face it, this is venturing into
> dealing
> > with authorization parameters with EAP (EAP layer? EAP method layer?
> > Etc.) I’m not against that either. In fact, I know there are a lot of
> > people who’d be happy to see that happen.
>
>   Prior to authentication, EAP is the only communications protocol
> between a supplicant and *anywhere* on the network.  It is therefore
> natural to overload it as a general purpose transport protocol.

To transport what, exactly?

> > So, my question is, is this what we are doing: Enabling EAP to
> exchange
> > authorization parameters among the EAP peer – authenticator –
> > authentication server? If not, I hope someone can explain how this is
> > different than what it takes to solve channel binding problem.
>
>   I believe that is what is happening: authorization parameters are
> being exchanged in EAP.  This should be made clearer in the documents.

Above you said "Prior to authentication, EAP is the only communications
protocol between a supplicant and *anywhere* on the network" by way of
rationalizing the use of EAP "as a general purpose transport protocol".  I
could have sworn that authorization _follows_ and is parameterized by
authentication.  So, please tell me again why EAP should be (further)
bastardized for this purpose.