Yes - but in this case I would expect a NAK from the client - possibly
proposing other methods.  Is this correct?

> > EAP Server Name Checking - On what basis does the client accept or not
> > accept the EAP server name?    You are suggesting that it is signed by a
CA
> > controlling the intended domain, but what does this mean?   Are you
> > suggesting that the CA should have a DNS subject alt name in it for
> > the domain in question?
> >
> [HZ] It's up to client's policy, especially if the server cert is issued
by a public
> CA. Client needs not only verify that the server cert presented is a valid
cert
> signed by the trusted CA, but also the server name presented in the cert
is
> matching the domain it tried to authenticate with. A FQDN in the CN or SAN
> would be a way to do it.
>
> > If no embedded EAP methods run, then no crypto check and thus no
> > version # checking is done.
> [HZ] That's true.

Ok - this would be in violation of the last paragraph in section 3.1 which
says that the version numbers MUST be done.

> >Also no checking done if only one inner EAP method is  used as this
> >only sends the Result TLV and not the Crypto-Binding TLV
> >
> [HZ] That's not true. Crypto-binding would still be exchanged with Result
TLV.
> Actually using of the Result TLV in lieu of IM-Result TLV is for legacy
reason in
> EAP-FAST, which could be removed in next rev since we are designing a new
> EAP method.

Please tell me where it says this is done.  All I can see is that one CAN
send intermediate-result, result and crypto-binding TLVs in the same
message.  (Unless of course only one is sent in which case the
Intermediate-Reuslt TLV MUST NOT be sent).   However these is nothing that
says that the Crypto-binding TLV would be sent after the first and only EAP
method - or indeed after a sequence of EAP methods.

> > 'serially in a sequence' is redundant - section 3.3.1
> >
> [HZ] Ok. The text is trying to distinguish from running multiple EAP
methods
> in parallel.
>
> > Not only does it not allow initiating multiple EAP methods in
> > parallel, it requires that they not be running in parallel.  This is a
> > more strict condition
> >
> [HZ] For simplicity, otherwise implementation would need to trace when the
> 1st method finishes and applies the key from the authentication to the
> crypto-binding. Supporting them in complete sequence makes it simpler and
> securer, as 2nd method might not be safe to run if the crypto-binging
after
> 1st method fails.

Do you ever expect a version to allow multiple EAP sequences to be run at
the same time?  If not then just the statement that they MUST be executed
serially is probably sufficient.

> > Para #3 - can the peer return an error and treat the failure of a
> > specific EAP method as a total failure for the overall process - or at
> > least recommend that it should be an overall failure?
> >
> [HZ] Yes it can. It is actually described in Section 3.6.2, peer can send
up some
> Fatal Error TLV and Result TLV to indicate the end.

Ok - either I don't see the text or my comment is not sufficiently clear.

Consider:
Client is running EAP-BLAH and returns inside of the EAP-BLAH method a
failure.
If the client wants an overall failure rather than leaving it up to the
server, does it send both the Result TLV failure and the EAP-Message w/ the
failure - or just the result TLV failure or is this not reasonable for the
client?

> > Confused messages in 3.3.1 and 3.3.3 about sending intermediate
> > results and final results at the same time.  Specifically 3.3.1 says
> > MUST NOT for one inner EAP method,  but text is not reflected in
> > section 3.3.3
> >
> [HZ] I think we can change to always send IM result after each inner EAP
> method, if only one inner method, then Result TLV could be sent as well.
See
> explanation above.

> > Conflict between 3.3.3 and security considerations (7.5) about sending
> > a different value in the Result TLV and the clear result in the event
> > of not doing a Request-Action TLV from the client.  Is the server
> > required to use the client suggested result in the event it does not
> > perform the request action - could it use a different failure message or
> success message?
> > Does it matter?
> >
> [HZ] Server is supposed to send the suggested Result code in
Request-Action
> TLV if it refuse to do the action, this way peer will get notify about the
final
> result and in-sync with the clear text EAP-Success/Failure packet.
> Probably doesn't matter what the server sends, client would set the final
> result base on its policy.

Based on my reading I would not have thought that the server was to send a
SECOND (and yes different) Result TLV in this case.

> > Section 3.4 - Need to address the following issues:
> > 1.  what if both certificates and an inner EAP method are run - what
> > is the Peer-Id then?
> [HZ] Good question. There were some discussions on this. The new draft rev
> will propose to use the first authenticated peer identity. The WG can
discuss
> more on this.
> > 2.  What if multiple inner EAP methods are run - which Peer-Id is used
> then?
> [HZ] Same as above.
> > 3.  What if client and machine EAP methods are run - which one to use
> then?
> > (Internal what are the ids used for?)
> >
> [HZ] Again, good question. Same as above.

What are you referring to for same as above?

> > Section 3.6 - item #2 - it should be noted that not all failure
> > indications would be transmitted.  The failure/success of the last EAP
> > method may not be sent as it gets wrapped into the Result TLV message
> >
> [HZ] Should be fixed with the change on IM result TLV.

> > Section 3.6.2 - (internal) - if you get a TLV rules violation - does
> > the TLV itself need to be acknowledged?
> >
> [HZ] Probably no need to, as it is fatal and other side probably already
> terminated the tunnel.

> > Section 3.7 - Can I assume that the identifier value is monotonically
> > increasing and does not wrap?
> >
> [HZ] Yes. We shouldn't exceed the maximum number (256) for Identifier in a
> single EAP authentication, at least I hope not.

> > Section 3.7 - it might be useful to tell me how to error for a message
> > too big or response time too long in dealing with fragmentation - are
> > both just final errors? Or should it potentially be treated as a TLS
error?

> [HZ] Most likely it will be TLS error if one side is having trouble to
receive or
> assemble the whole message. Additional error code could be defined to
> convey this.

But this would be a limitation on the EAP method rather than on TLS.

> > Section 3.2 - possible clarification.  If all TLVs in a message are
> > marked optional and none are understood by the peer, then an EMPTY
> > response message must still be sent to the server.
> >
> [HZ] yes. I will add that.

> > Section 4.2.2 - Result TLV MUST NOT be accompanied by Crypto-binding
> > TLV - not what it says in section 3.3
> >
> [HZ] It says " A Result TLV indicating failure", as it doesn't matter
anymore,
> the whole EAP authentication will fail. Section 3.3 is talking about a
successful
> Result TLV.

> > Section 4.2.3 - NAK TLV should not be accompanied by other TLVs.   Not
> sure
> > I understand why.  If I send an EAP plus a vendor w/ mandatory set,
> > should not I get back a NAK on the vendor plus a result for the EAP?
> > I might be happy to not do the vendor, but want to distinguish between
> > you cannot do this vs you choose not to do this.  <Not fully sure that
> > I really care about this case as long I can assume that if the
> > mandatory bit is set then I would always fail the overall EAP
> > conversation.>
> >
> [HZ] Correct, I am not sure there is value sending back the other TLVs, as
the
> authentication should be failed if the mandatory to implement is not
> supported.

> > Section 4.2.10 - How can I know if the server does or does not process
> > the channel binding TLV?  This may be part of my policy as a peer
> > depending on circumstances.
> >
> [HZ] Currently, the Channel-binding TLV is an optional TLV, doesn't
require
> acknowledgement, and is designed to be only one way, for client to send
> some channel binding data to the server for verification purpose. There is
no
> feedback provided. The indication of whether the server supports channel-
> binding and/or validated the channel-binding could be conveyed in other
> TLVs to be added, if the WG agrees to be valuable.

Sam - do you see this as being an issue for abfab?

> > Section 4.2.8 -  Currently says that version should be 1 while the
> > version defined in the intro sections is 2 - would be correct if we
> > change the EAP method.
> >
> [HZ] It's the version number of the Crypto-binding TLV, not the EAP
version
> number. The theory is that we could enhance the crypto-binging TLV format
> in the future if desired.

Ok - I just misread this.

Jim