While implementing EAP-NOOB, I found the explanation on the Invalid NAI (error code 1001) in the draft to be unclear.

The document formulates it as follows:
>   If the NAI structure is invalid, the server SHOULD send the error
>   code 1001 to the peer.

However, does this mean that the EAP-NOOB server should verify that the NAI follows the formal syntax as specified in RFC 7542, or should it verify that the NAI follows the specification of EAP-NOOB, i.e., it is of the form "noob@{eap-noob.net||RESERVED_DOMAIN}". I think this section could be formulated more clearly to address these concerns.

On that note, Figure 2 seems to be incomplete. The EAP-Response/Identity specifies the NAI parameter to be "n...@eap-noob.net", while the specification also has the option of configuring this to a reserved domain. In that case, the NAI should not use the default realm anymore. Currently, this is not reflected in the figure.

If anything remains unclear, I am open for discussion.

~Max Crone