>>> This raises the question what TEAP TLS 1.2 implementations do today? Are
>>> they only using outdated and non-secure cipher suites or are they doing
>>> something unspecified to derive Compound-MAC with an AEAD cipher suite?

>>  It's not clear.  I'd have to double-check hostap, which is the only
>> publicly available TEAP implementation I know of.

> I can tell you what Windows is doing for TLS 1.2; and Windows interops with
> all the TEAP implementations that I know of, so others are likely doing the
> same. We're using the MAC function in the case of a CBC block cipher suite,
> or PRF hash function in the case of an AEAD cipher suite. Yes, it's
> unspecified, but I believe most TLS libraries abstracts the difference away,
> so it went unnoticed. I imagine it may have gone unnoticed by other
> implementations as well.

Should we document this behavior for TLS 1.2 in the draft? I.e. the PRF hash
function in HMAC mode for AEAD cipher suites and the MAC function for non-AEAD
cipher suites.

>>  Realistically, PEAP is a vendor-defined protocol.  It is not under the
>> change control of the IETF.  If the vendor agrees to this change, then it's
>> possible.  Otherwise we're stuck with what we have.

> We agree to changes in this area to the extent that WG feels they are
> necessary. I don't have the cryptanalysis background to weight heavily in on
> what the right thing to do is, but have no objection to moving away from SHA1.

> Rather than locking in another dependency such as SHA256, I wonder if this
> calculation should also use a hash function derived from the TLS handshake?

That is a much better idea! It is not necessary to update any TEAP TLS 1.2
code, but it definitely feels like a worthwhile thing to do when the
implementation is anyway updated for TLS 1.3.