Hi all,

in an earlier email on this topic John wrote "I don't see why anybody would get
the impressions that the application data would be unencrypted, all application
data in TLS 1.3 is encrypted."

Even in the latest version of the draft (version -11) I can still find text
that says the contrary.

Section 2.4:

"

   While EAP-TLS does not protect any application data, the negotiated

   cipher suites and algorithms MAY be used to secure data as done in

   other TLS-based EAP methods.

"

Section 2.1.1:

"

   After the TLS handshake has completed

   and all Post-Handshake messages have been sent, the EAP server sends

   EAP-Success.

"

Even the figure that follows this statement shows that this is not true because
there is still the Commitment Message.

Can you see how this is confusing?

I had suggested to add a note to the introduction to make it clear that the
Commitment Message is one of the two things that changed with this draft. (The
other aspect is the changed key exporting.)

Currently, the important information on how the Commitment Message works is
buried in a section called EAP State Machines when nothing in the draft can
possibly change the EAP state machine.

Ciao

Hannes

medium. Thank you.