On Fri, 10 Mar 2023, at 16:17, Eliot Lear wrote:
> In Section 4.2.9, the beginning text reads:
>
>> The Request-Action TLV MAY be sent by both the peer and the server in
>> response to a successful or failed Result TLV.
>
> I believe this text is overly restrictive, and should be relaxed to say:
>
>> The Request-Action TLV MAY be sent by both the peer and the server.
>
> The reason for this is as follows: if the server notices that the client
> certificate is expiring, or if the server otherwise has need of the
> client renewing its certificate early (say due to impending change to
> trust anchors), the server should be able to issue a Request-Action TLV
> upon successful TLS hellos, without the need for a Result or
> Intermediate-Result frame.

This might be awkward when implementing a state machine.

I think it may also open up a potential security problem around processing an
Request-Action TLV in lieu of a Cryptobinding TLV.

At the moment, my expectation is:

 1. do some authenticating
 2. look at the result
 3. process some Cryptobinding TLV
 4. see if I need to do anything more (another round of authentication, process
Request-Action TLVs, ...)

If we make it so it can be sent at any time, being extreme, including the
mid-EAP-Payload-TLV?

Is is valid after a successful authentication to send a lone Request-Action
TLV? The state machine of the client is probably still pondering if the
authentication was okay or not.

...or is this because you have just highlighted that in a Request-Action TLV
the 'status' field takes on magical superpowers for the situation of before an
actual Result/Intermediate-Result TLV is sent?

I do think what you are proposing is okay if the restrictions are changed to:

 * must be after an authentication
 * for a successful authentication, a cryptobinding must be sent and processed
first, but the value of the 'status' field of the Request-Action TLV can be
anything
 * for a failed authentication, the Request-Action TLV 'status' field must be
failure

I think this works for your example, and irons out some grey areas, there may
be other scenarios though...this is all straight off the top of my head, so
maybe I have missed something.

Cheers