On Jun 27, 2023, at 7:04 PM, Joseph Salowey <j...@salowey.net> wrote:

> We are nearing completion of RFC7170bis.   There are a few open issues in
> github - https://github.com/emu-wg/rfc7170bis/issues
>
> Issue 21 - links to the errata to verify that they have been addressed in the
> draft and provides text for resolving the errata.  In many cases it might be
> easier to resolve as "wait for document update".  Please review to make sure
> the errata have been correctly addressed.
>
> Issue 20 - we are waiting on some flows on PKCS #10/#7 - I think Eliot has
> this action item.
> Issue 8 - is also a related item, perhaps these can be addressed together.
>
> Issue 17 - this is a request to add mandatory to implement ciphersuites.
> Some more discussion is needed on this.
>
> Issue 15 - Discusses an issue with chained EAP methods and proposes that we
> add some text and a new error message to address this problem.  Do people
> think this needs addressing?
>
> Once we resolve these issues we can move the draft forward.

  I've updated the document and will issue a new revision shortly.

  There are a few questions coming from the updates.

  RFC 3.3.1 says that TEAP should note devolve into EAP-TLS:

Further, when a client
certificate is sent outside of the TLS tunnel, the server MUST proceed
with phase 2, either for authentication or provisioning.  If there is
no Phase 2 data, then the EAP server MUST reject the session.  There
is no reason to have TEAP devolve to EAP-TLS.

  Eliot notes that you can't renew a client certificate in EAP-TLS.  Therefore,
there may be good reason to use TEAP in "client certificate only" mode.

  There is a related question is for client certificates provisions via TEAP.
Section 3.8.1 says:

Provisioning of a peer's certificate is supported in TEAP by
performing the Simple PKI Request/Response from {{RFC5272}} using
PKCS#10 and PKCS#7 TLVs, respectively.

  That's all well and good, but there is nothing which ties that certificate to
TEAP.

  Do we want to say that the provisioned credentials MUST NOT be used for
anything other than TEAP?

  Alan DeKok.