I started trying to implement encfs based syncing but immediately ran
into the following, quite well-documented problem:

22:28:37 (FileUtils.cpp:375) Archive exception: stream error
22:28:37 (FileUtils.cpp:326) Found config file encfs6.xml, but failed to
load

The problem is that I'm using different versions of ubuntu on my laptop
and desktop so I guess they have different boost libraries.  While I'll
probably eventually sync them up I'm wondering if there's any way to
salvage the situation.  Is the encfs6.xml file just used to store the
password?  If so can I just generate a different encfs password on both
machines but using the same password, etc...?  If so will they both be
able to decrypt the shared dirs or is that too easy?

Alternately are there statically compiled encfs binaries available (or
an easy way to set them up) that I could just use on both machines (I
had to do this for unison anyway as its very version-sensitive too).

thanks for any help (and all the help already offered!)