On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 17:52:24 +0200
Francesco de Virgilio <fradev...@gmail.com> wrote:
| On 27 May 2012 17:57, Andrzej Zawadzki <a.zawad...@gmail.com> wrote:
| > No worries, the data is protected with your volume password. As long as no
| > one knows your pass, your data is secure.
| >
| > Cheers,
| > Andrzej Zawadzki
|
| AFAIK, leaving encfs6.xml in the encrypted dir can increase the
| possibilities for
| hackers to access the encrypted data, see:
|
| http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/info/crypto/encfs.hints
|
| section "Disadvantages", last point.
|
| The worst part is that I've tried to store the encfs6.xml externally
| and recall it with
| "ENCFS6_CONFIG=" variable when calling "encfs" command (as suggested in the
| above mentioned guide) but it doesn't works.

| Still wondering if it is possible :|

I am the author of the above document, and YES it works. I use it all
the time.

ENCFS6_CONFIG must be an environment variable, and the contents must
be the the absolute filename of the config file.

NOTE: I actually have it set to a temporary named-pipe file
which I then feed the config file (from a decrypted source) into.
This is possible as "encfs" only opens and reads the config file once only
when it starts.

My "ks" (key store) script does all this for me.
http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/software/#ks

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <a.thys...@griffith.edu.au>
        Backup is irrelevant, your C drive will be assimilated
   Anthony's Castle     http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/