For better or worse, both major desktop OSes are stuck with a legacy
of case-insensitive filesystems. As a result, while the OSes
themselves work fine with case-sensitive filesystems these days, many
applications seriously misbehave when run or when working off of a
case-sensitive filesystem.

I have recently run into this in a situation where encfs would be
ideal, but discovered with some pain that, by default at least, it
exposes a case-sensitive volume when run under fuse4x on Mac OS X.

Is there a current workaround or option to enable HFS+-like
case-insensitive behavior?

How straightforward would it be to add one? (I'm glad to try it
myself, but would appreciate a word of warning before I try if the
experienced developers expect it to be a losing proposition, either
technically or because you wouldn't accept such a patch.)

Thanks.