(Encfs 1.7.4 on OS X 10.8.2.)

I use encfs on OS X and Ubuntu (on a Dropbox share) and it's fantastic.

My problem is that on OS X after a while my encfs mount will become
inaccessible: when I try to use it I get "Device not configured".

Mostly this would happen after suspending and resuming my machine, which
isn't unreasonable. However, recently it's started happening mid-session,
while I'm actively using files from the mount. I don't discern any pattern
for when this happens. Nvalt freaks out when the filesystem disappears, and
I have to 'sudo diskutil unmount force ...' to recover. I'm worried that
I'll lose data.

(Nothing like this happens on Ubuntu, FWIW: encfs seems rock solid on
Ubuntu.)

Any suggestions for troubleshooting, or reasons why this might be happening?

Thanks,
Mike.