2013/12/19 Ben RUBSON <ben.rub...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a topic about Filename Initialization Vector Chaining.
>
> I do not use it because I have directories with a huge amout of
> subdirectories and files, so I do not want to be impacted by the significant
> performance impact which directory renames involve.
>
> Could we think about a solution to give each object's name its own
> initialization vector but not based on its path ?
> This would help with the performance impact.

I think like files there could be a name algorithm with single IV like for file.

> About attacks, let's assume that the attacker knows that at a specific
> location of the encoded files' tree, there is an object called "myfile.txt".
> For example, he now knows that "myfile.txt" gives
> "p5aHkU3UCjr21t6pqz0wK8zIdbHAoTqO6jdTcLcocpMNg9" once encoded.
> Can he find out the key with associations like this ?
> - without Filename Initialization Vector Chaining enabled ?
> - even with Filename Initialization Vector Chaining enabled ?

Surely easier without IV chaining. But beside this I don't know any
no-brute force way to get the key from data + crypt(data). Actually
there should be no problem according to
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/5355/compute-the-aes-encryption-key-given-the-plaintext-and-its-ciphertext.

Considering that you can set up encfs to not encrypt names you
probably want to protect names encrypting them. If a large number of
files have the same encrypted name they are probably common names
(README, system files, SCMs or whatever) and you probably can guess
them. You can then probably infer some informations on the content.
For instance if you know that you use a Mac, and you suppose that a
common name is the thumbnail directory you can know how many images
are in a specific directory. If you don't like other people to know
such information single encryption without IV does not protect it. But
still single component name IV would fix this issue.

> Thank you very much !
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ben

Frediano