On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 6:30 AM Ismael Olea <ism...@olea.org> wrote:
> Hi:

Hey,

The GUADEC channel is not managed by the engagement team but by a few
people behind yout...@guadec.org (CCed).

> I'm very happy with how talks' videos has been published and tagged
> I can see appropriate to have separate channels for GNOME promotion
> (as now) and a different one for video talks.

Thanks. The bulk of the work was done with a new tool I wrote that
consumes the schedule XML file and does the upload with the
appropriate metadata:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/afranke/conference-to-youtube

I still have work to do on it for it to be more widely usable, which
is why I haven’t advertised it yet, but the aim is to make it usable
for any conference.

> I'm not familiar with video recording practises with LAS GNOME and
> GNOME Asia, but in any case would be great to have all been recorded
> and published too.

We try but it’s not always possible, for logistical or financial reasons.

> In this sense, maintaining several conference channels is, to me,
> suboptimal. I think all conference talks published in the same channel
> is nice and good for the better dissemination of contents and image
> marketing/engagement.

I disagree.

> When managing Youtube channels I've found channels
> _are_not_mergeable_, so any reorganization implies removing old
> channels, uploading again the old contents and losing all related
> data, counters and subscriptions.

Yes, channels are not mergeable, not splittable either, and videos
cannot be transferred across channels.

> So I'm proposing to consider renaming the GUADEC Youtube channel
> (AFAIK the only conference channel active)

LAS has a channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCraw5o0ELQgGcPqsnXOxUpw
GNOME.Asia has one too but it’s not been used recently:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4xC9dsLPn2RbwQD01GJXRw

> to something like «GNOME Conferences» or similar (GNOME Talks?)
> suitable to host and publish talks of any technical talks, specially the
> ones from the main conferences. I think the required tasks will be just
> channel
> rebranding.

I actually think this is a bad idea, precisely because of branding. We
can associate channel with GNOME by other means, but keeping them
separate allows each conference to use their own identity and that’s a
good thing. It also make it easier to find relevant content.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker