On 02/02/2012 11:19 AM, Maor wrote:
On 02/02/2012 06:01 PM, Jon Choate wrote:
Given the changes for multiple storage domains, do we want to allow a
user to specify multiple storage domains per disk when creating or
importing a template?

Otherwise the user will need to use the copy(clone) template disk
afterwards to create the copies of the storage domain disks where they
want them.

If so, what would the UI look for this?  It would require the backend to
receive something that looks like Map<DiskImage, List<StorageDomain>>.

thoughts?
I think something that should be taken in consider if doing that, is
that the VM which the template is created from will stay in image lock
much longer.
Not necessarily. Once we get one copy of each disk down, we can release the vm and use these copies as the source of the other copies.
Also what would be the desired behaviour if few of storage domains would
not be available, and will fail. (right now, if counting on the
AsyncTaskManager mechanism, the all operation of create template will be
rolled back, and the template would not be created at all.
Yes, the failure cases need to be considered. I would think that as long as one copy of each disk can be created then the template should persist. If we can't create a copy of each disk then we need to roll back and not create the template.

But in this approach how do we convey the list of failures back to the user?