On 02/05/2012 03:40 PM, Oved Ourfalli wrote:

4. VM Pools
VM Pools are always based (at least today) on templates, and
templates
have no shared disks.
I'd just block attaching a shared disk to a VM which is part of a
pool
(unless there is a very interesting use case meriting this)
If there is no reason to attach shared disk to a VM from pool, maybe
its
also not that relevant to attach shared disk to stateless VM.
Miki?

I think there is such a use-case in clustered environments (DB cluster, for
example), in which you have several disks that are not shared (OS,
applications, etc.), and several disks that are shared (DB disks).
In this case, in order to create this clustered environment, it will be nice if
you create a template with the regular disks, create a pool from it, and attach
all the VMs in the pool the shared DB disks.
(It would be even nicer if the shared disk will be a part of the template, and when
creating VMs from it they will have have a "link" to this shared disk - but I
agree that it may be complex so maybe we should leave it aside for now).

Thoughts?

that we can wait with an interesting enough use case before we pursue this and ignore it for simplification for now.