On 04/09/2012 03:12 PM, Miki Kenneth wrote:
Excuse my ignorance... but I would like to understand the "new" behavior on:
- clean install? POC?
when using the mangage domains, specify which provider type you want along with the domain
- How do I change the provider, after installation?
run manage domains, alternatively engine-config
- upgrade path.
when the backend starts it will auto-detect and keep the value in the DB for next time (so auto-detecting once per domain) adding more domains via manage-domains requires the user to set the provider type

Miki

----- Original Message -----
From: "Livnat Peer"<lp...@redhat.com>
To: "Roy Golan"<rgo...@redhat.com>
Cc: "Oved Ourfalli"<ov...@redhat.com>, engine-devel@ovirt.org
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2012 2:47:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] deprecating auto-detection of Ldap provider types

On 09/04/12 14:42, Roy Golan wrote:
On 04/09/2012 12:11 PM, Livnat Peer wrote:
On 09/04/12 11:42, Roy Golan wrote:
auto-detection featured few bugs lately which convinced me that
it must
be deprecated/removed from
the code in favor of adding manual set of the provider type.

main reasons for that:
a. the provider is type is known by the user
b. identifying a provider by the rootDSE attributes is
error-prone, not
reliable etc... specially if the support matrix is growing
c. auto-detection logic is duplicated (and not shared) between
the
backend code and the manage-domains tool (nevermind the reasons
now)

+1 for removing this 'feature'

A manual set of the provider type requires a new configuration
field for
a domain and the
question is the upgrade path which may look like

* set the provider type to default Active Directory (because its
more
likely to be the provider type)
* things not working -  use the engine-manage-domains and choose
the
provider type.
* optionally - keep the auto-detection (of the tool only!)  if
user
wants to use it.
I think we should require that the user specifies the provider
type
(from now on), and enable editing this field of course.

Another upgrade proposal is to populate the provider type only
upon the
first time we need to use this domain (and it is not populated) by
using
the current 'auto-detect' mechanism.
and remove it the next version?
yes

this means the auto-detection code remains in the backend code.
only until next version

I think its the best to remove it totally but If we want to keep
this
functionality I rather just leave it in manage-domains
alone,although if
its another step for the user.
I don't *want* to keep it but unless we want to set it hard coded
during
upgrade I don't see how can we remove it.

BTW if we have to leave it in I would say to remove it from the tool
and
leave in the backend (you have to have it in the backend for
transparent
upgrade)

By taking the above approach we don't break behavior for the user
and we
enable manually fixing of the domain provider type (which is a
bypass
for all current bugs in the auto-detect).

Livnat

your suggestion and thoughts...

Thanks,
Roy